A challenge to you all

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by stan40353, Sep 11, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 30, 2019 #781

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

IKEA plane sounds cool...maybe replacing the electric boards ( that so many get head injuries and even die ) ?

2. Jul 30, 2019 #782

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That was the Pterodactyl Ascender ultralight, minus the wrench, 35+ years ago. Assembly time: one day. Probably many others, too, but I watched, and helped a bit, as a Pterodactyl was being assembled.

About 20% to 25% of my neighbors are female pilots, including current or former airline pilots, airshow pilots, and competition aerobatics pilots. A few men seem to believe that women should be excluded from aviation - I declined an invitation to join the QBs because of that attitude was prevalent within the local hangar - but that is a minority point of view that rapidly is disappearing.

Yup, just like some of the young posters here who summarily dismiss the value of “the old farts at the EAA meeting.”

Any objective reading of just a few HBA posts would convince the reader that the spectrum of HBAers spans from hang glider and ultralight enthusiasts to jet powered enthusiasts and everything between. Having met quite a few of them, I am certain that there are many talented and interesting people here who are more than willing to share their knowledge with fellow enthusiasts. The time that some devote to educating others is amazing.

It’s not necessary to be rich to be a GA pilot. But those who do go for the “$100 hamburger” are helping to support people who are working to support themselves: cooks, waiters, restaurant owners, airport gasoline pumpers, the person who drives the 100LL delivery truck, etc. That is how a free economy works to reward those who take control of their own lives. Society, and individuals, are better served by the hamburger builder being “given” a job than by being given unearned money.

BJC

3. Jul 30, 2019 #783

robertl

robertl

robertl

In regard to the $100 hamburger, I always tip more than the usual 15%, even though I never got a tip for doing my job. I did get a small bonus one time because we finished a job, (I was in construction) 10 months ahead of schedule and made the company owners an ass load more profit! A lot of guy complained that it was such a small bonus that it wasn't worth it. As for my way of thinking, it's more than I agreed to in the first place, so it was welcome. No company benefits, no paid vacation, no 401 K, we got a days pay for a days work and I knew that going in. I did manage to elevate my status as I got older, because I realized that I could not keep it up physically, if something didn't change, so I made it change. If I didn't go as far as I could have, I can look in the mirror and talk to that person. Just my 2 cents.
    Bob

4. Jul 30, 2019 #784

David Lewis

David Lewis

David Lewis

It's possible. Although the lady pilots I saw (of that era) wore pants. My opinion is it was to appeal to automobile owners.

5. Jul 31, 2019 #785

BJC

BJC

BJC

At his request, I took a friend’s wife (I was 20 or 21, they were in their late 20’s) for her first aerobatic ride in a Citabria. Even though I recommended that she wear pants, she showed up in a mini skirt. Getting her strapped in, wearing a parachute, was ...... interesting.

BJC

6. Jul 31, 2019 #786

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Lets go back to subject here.

I remember 30-40 years ago they talked about 2 - 4000 USD for the stuff to make it..how much is the "lumber" today gonna cost for a minimum aeroplane ?

Staibs AIRY PLANE and CRI CRI are/were twins...does it have to be a twin to be small and inexpensive ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  7. Aug 1, 2019 #787

robertl

robertl

robertl

That looks simple enough !

8. Aug 1, 2019 #788

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

The tail for the original Cri Cri was built by an 8 year old with foam, aluminum and glue. It was Colomban's daughter.

Speedboat100 likes this.
  9. Aug 1, 2019 #789

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

They didn't need a whole lot of airplane or engine to fly

Speedboat100 likes this.
  10. Aug 1, 2019 #790

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

This lumber cost me around 100 usd. This will make one 0,5 kw wind turbine. It is about the wood for 1/4th of a Cri Cri sized ac.

Attached Files:

11. Aug 1, 2019 #791

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

1575 usd mentioned there.

12. Aug 1, 2019 #792

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Then again Peter Sripol made his first a twin.

13. Aug 1, 2019 #793

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Aluminum tubes can compete with wood on cost and is more durable and predictable quality.

I am impressed that Boeing was in the timber industry but was among the first to ditch the wood and build aluminum airplanes.

In the 70's I could build an aluminum hang glider for $75 while CGS was building them from bamboo for $25 or less. That was material costs. Labor was additional.

14. Aug 1, 2019 #794

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Wood was rediscovered in the "Spruce Goose" which was made outa birch wood composite. Even first Hughes missiles were still wood composite.

Certainly the automated production does require aluminium..as it is homegenous material...and indeed predictable. OTOH...wood compositte may be labour costly...but might actually beat the aluminium in quality hands down.

15. Aug 2, 2019 #795

Doran Jaffas

Doran Jaffas

Doran Jaffas

Wood is heavier and must be graded carefully however as far as durability goes that would be in question. There are many airplanes made from wood that
    years older than some aluminum airplanes and the wood is still in excellent shape structurally.. Also let's not forget that aluminum in any metal has cycles that warrant it on-air worthy after a. Of time.

16. Aug 2, 2019 #796

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Back to the IKEA point. With today' high avail-now, one just has to work on build time. I note that GE (worked with their motors) is into 3-D print of engines. Many parts as one cuts assembly labor all thunder, and appeals to those who wanted it yesterday!

17. Aug 3, 2019 #797

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

You cannot beat in weight for instance plywood-foam-plywood structure..it is durable and awesome...when ever it fits you design.

18. Aug 3, 2019 #798

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Laser cutting is a cure for this need.

19. Aug 8, 2019 #799

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

I went to IKEA yesterday. I was thinking about an aeroplane that would hold one person aloft. Could it be made to 50 kg empty with an engine...and sold by the thousands ? ?

20. Aug 12, 2019 #800

hole in the ground

hole in the ground

hole in the ground

Yup, based on those specs alone, that already exists: powered para/hang gliders.