Do to the age of the drawing (20 yrs), all the full scale lofts of the center section ribs are the wrong size. Over time the paper has shrunk so I will be re-starting the center section rib after making 12 of them. The other problem is the cord lines are no longer the same. So I'll be using one templete for the shape and the lofts for the hole patterns.
As I work on the rib template, I'm also working on the height of the spars in relation to the ribs. The L/E ribs are 1/8 taller than the L/E of the front spar.
I've built the first rib of the vertical stab. ,with two more too go. I guess it is time to order the plywood for covering and the spruce for the L/E lamination and the the rear spar.
The wife will only let me order when I'm out of material, otherwise I wouldn't get any cars in the garage. I can order as often or as much I want, but I think she is right, I'd own enough material to build ten planes.
The rudder ribs are getting done quickly. I can't finish the vertical stab until I get some more wood but I should be done with the fin ribs by this weekend. I'll have to get the spars and so that I can get to assembling. Work is still progressing on the center ribs. I'm trying to decide if I want to make it so that you can step on either side of the cockpit.
I decided to remake my WS53 ribs. These are the thin ribs that are on either side of the fuel tank. The chord on first set was taller than the drawings on the plans. I cut the new one using plywood templates and a routier. I've decided to go with the single step on the left side of the fuselage. I've started the ribs for the elevator and stablizer. I also have the jig completed to make the wing tip bows. Pictures to follow:
I've finally had some free time. I've completed glueing the cord supports on most the center section rib. I had to trim 1/8" off the left ribs for the step doubler. The last rib has to be trimmed 1/8 along the length because of the cockpit floor. I need to cut the ribs for the landing gear still.
I'm finishing up my center ribs that have the seat support. That will leave the some T/E ribs and one set of center section outboard ribs to finish up. I starting to cutting gussets for the aft fuselage truss.
After a long break, work has restarted. I'm trying to finish up the rudder and stablizer ribs. I have a few more T/E wing ribs to finish. I've found a semi-local source for spruce and plan on picking up the wood to start fuselage construction.
Progress is slow. Still haven't finished the flaps. I've been working on starting the spars. The picture is the rear center section spar. It is I-beam contruction with 1" spruce glued to 1/4" ply wiht filler post. There is a 1/8" ply facing.
I skipped the inboard flaps because I got the wood for my center rear spar. With everything going on and limited number of clamps it took about three week to complete. There are 56 pieces of wood that make up this rear spar. I have started on the alumimum pieces that attach but won't install them until I'm ready to assemble.
Here the filler blocks for the wing rib are being clamped and glued into place.
The cord reenforcement glued and clamped.
Completed spar with all 56 pieces glued together.
Spar end showing 1/8 plywood covering, cord reenforcement, and filler blocks.
I've also completed about 30 different aluminum parts for assembly at a later date.
Work is finally continuing, I have glued the top cords to the second rear spar and will start positioning the lower cords for glueing. I also picked up the flap drive arm from the water jet cutter. I know it is cheating but in needed 18 and 6. It took almost the same amount of time (they were backed up) I estimated it would take me to get them done (6 weeks). I would of had to spend about 2 hrs a day making them to get them all done. I couldn't have make them this accurately. Next comes bending them and then welding to the flap drive tube.