5/8 Sindlinger Hawker Hurricane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

If you were going to build a Hurricane what scale would you build?

• 100%

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 90%

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 85%

• 70%

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 62.5% 5/8

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 50%

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 100%

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 90%

• 85%

• 70%

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 62.5% 5/8

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 50%

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wiloows5050

Log Member
When I can't find material to work on I work on the bushings for bolting the parts to the wood. The longer bushing are for the attaching the straps to the spar. These straps hold the three wing sections together.

PICT0016.JPG

These are spacers to compensate for the straps width where parts attach on top of the straps.

PICT0017.JPG

wiloows5050

Log Member
These are missing the first pictures but I'm almost finished with this set of bell crank brackets.

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0005.JPG

Did the radius with a sander. Still need to drill holes. I know it is a reoccurring theme but I don't want to change the mill yet, I want to do them all at once.

wiloows5050

Log Member
Started on a new page to this project, the landing gear. I finished cutting the upper cylinder sleeves. Tried it two different ways, first cutting excess with a cut off wheel and a grinder. This left to much material and got way to hot. The second was with a hacksaw. This worked really well and I was able to cut it much closer. Finished both pieces off in the mill, I'll need a lathe to do the thicker stock and larger stock. I've also completed some of the tail wheel parts as well.

wiloows5050

Log Member
Half a day working in my friends shop turned out to be very helpful. I got the out 2" 4130 for the tail wheel housing done. The inner were finished early this week. I was able to get several other parts completed. What I really needed to get to was the flat stock. The best part was I got the material back that for the last 2 1/2 years he has told me he would get finished for me. I took me a couple of hours on Sunday to finish the work at my shop at home. I'm almost ready to start assembling the metal parts. They are the following: rudder petals, control stick, flap drive rods, tail wheel. The main gear will be a while before I can start assembling them. Hopefully pictures next time.

wiloows5050

Log Member
PICT0009.JPG
These are the end caps and washers for the tail wheel assemble. The washer is welded in place to separate the two spring. The end caps will hold the center tube in place and allow it to turn. I've started cutting the flat stock, the mounting plates are almost complete then I'll have to start the cradle.

PICT0010.JPG

The outer tube is 2" od and the inner tube is 7/8 od. I'll still have to make the control horn so I'll have tail wheel steering.

I was able to shoot lots of pictures of what I have complete on the different assembles. lots of up dates to follow.

wiloows5050

Log Member
PICT0011.JPG
The main gear legs outer cylinder cut to length.

PICT0012.JPG
The outer cylinder with the cross member. I still need to drill the hole for the cross member. I would of had two cross members but I cut one a 1/16 short.

PICT0013.JPG

I was a little worried when I first look at how small the cross member was compared to the outer cylinder. When I got the metal I realized that the thickness on the small tube was more than enough to compensate. I was told that I can borrow the jig that was used to make several sets of this landing gear design so that will help a lot.

wiloows5050

Log Member
All four end caps completed and fitted to the tubes. Two pictured with there matching tubes.
image.jpg

Cap fitted in exterior tube.
image.jpg

Inner tube with both end caps in place. Still need to drill and tap for set screws. I cut the washers out of the wrong size stock so I'll have to recut them.
image.jpg

wiloows5050

Log Member
I still looking for a source for one of the rod end bearing but all the rest of the control rods for the ailerons and flaps are done.

image.jpg

wiloows5050

Log Member
PICT0018.JPG

These are the flap drive rods. The first three were completed over three years ago along with the arms and retaining collars.
The last five rods were completed in an evening after I finally got my material back from were it sat in my friends shop all that time.

PICT0019.JPG

wiloows5050

Log Member
PICT0023.JPG
This is the start of the rudder petals. The larger tubes mount to floor brackets and allow the petals to move.
The small tubes are for the toe brakes to pivot on.

wiloows5050

Log Member
I got a little more shop time. I was able to finish the steel washer that separates the two springs in the tail wheel assembly. It will be welded to the center tube. It will clear the sides without touching. (1.875id to 1.75od on washer)

image.jpg image.jpg

Checking for fit.image.jpg

wiloows5050

Log Member
Work moved along nicely, got almost all the landing gear legs finished. Got the lower legs cut to length, trunnions for the gear finished, and the bar for the rudder petals sized.

AC116CEF-B8C7-49D8-9CCF-D388DA3B9ABC.jpg

Upper gear legs with holes drilled and ready for the trunnion which is loosely fitted.

D99AFA1B-6461-46F1-962A-101AAB6203EB.jpg

Lower gear leg cut to length with the axle fitted

A86845A9-DFF6-46D0-8F50-E18CF87551A0.jpg

Rough fitting of the upper and lower landing gear legs.

wiloows5050

Log Member
Finally back to making wood parts. Going to work on finishing the spar I started forever ago. Lower cord reinforcement got it taper tonight. Hopefully I can get my shop warm enough to get it glued up tomorrow.

F2ADA6A1-06CC-40E8-BD56-02818F8089C0.jpg