5.0 liter mustang

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

racer956

I am building a sal p-51 and am looking at installing a l-s1. as anyone heard of people using the 5.0 mustang motor in an air plane and where would i find a psru. Thanks for the help

F82man

Hi Racer, if the 5.0 engine you are talking about has the 3" stroke, and the 4" bore, it might be a little small for the application. Compared to the chevy 302, I believe the parameters are very similar. While there are plenty of after market parts, most of the horse power comes in the higher RPMs of the smaller cubic inch engines. I have heard of the small blocks turning 10500 RPM thru the lights during drag racing, but longevity is usually nonexistant. You could probably build a 5.0 using later heads, rods etc., but you will still be limited by the cubic inches.

As for the PSRU, look up geared drives, and call Bud. He is a wealth of information, and could have what you need. Don

F82man

Also, send pix of your progress on your project.....Don

jack.39

Are we talking here about water-cooling of the engine? Real heavy weight burden. Being new, I ask lots of questions, but intuitively realize weight is of the essence in flying, is it not? That said, how in the world did B-29s receive adequate air for cooling purposes at 30,000 feet? Just wonderin'! jack

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Water cooled can have a weight penalty, it's true. It should be noted though that a couple of the lightest in class engines on the market today are water cooled, namely the rotax 912 series and the D motor. Being in the 100 hp class that's saying something, too, as it's easier to get a good power to weight with larger engines. Just sayin'.

cheapracer

Log Member
Mustang 5.0 is a dog relative to a plane's size and weight requirement even to it's older brother the 302 cast iron engine.

LSx series for the easy win, old 302 with stroker crank and aluminium heads in 2nd place.

(I am neither a pro-Chev or pro-Ford guy btw).