• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

37th anniversary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Fisher

Supporting Member
June 2nt will be our 37th Anniversary. Some of you have seen our story before but I expect some haven't so.
It was the spring of 1972 I was going to A&P school out at Sidney Nebraska My home was at Western in the country 30 miles south west of Crete Nebraska and I would come home on some week ends and hang out at the Crete Airport. Now the Crete airport was Mayberry Nebraska style. Now they decided to have a fly out. We would fly all 14 airplanes in mas to Volskyes Flying "V" restraint at Utica about 40 Miles to the north west. I was gassing up Low Slow Joe(see avitar) as The Waldos taxied up in there nearly new C-182. Trecka sorta jumps out skips my way and she says come ride with us. I said "naw" she rocked back and forth and said we'll let you fly it (C-182).OK.
We get to Flying"V" this a big dining room/ ball room. There are probably 50 people at our table I know most of them but some I don't. These are motley Flying Farmers and all the talk is pigs, cows and government price supports and I can't leave because I am riding with Waldos. I would like to get back to Crete and Don working on the Volksplane. Well the band starts to play and there is this little girl must be 16 so I ask her if she would like to dance. We go out on the floor start to waltz. I ask her what grade she is in. She snaps back "GRADE" I am a nurse I am 20. It seams she rode with the airport manager and they drove. She knew him from church and asked him about flying. We talked until it was time to go. Diann was planing to take her first flying lesson Sunday afternoon but it was to windy so they didn't go.
The next week end was the EAA Chapter 80 pick nick at Derands Sky Ranch near North Omaha.
I got permission to take the Martin Family CUB to the pick nick. It was the most perfect morning ever. The bluest sky with widely scattered puffy clouds no wind 75 deg. This Diann's first time up. Flying at 500' you could smell the new mone hay.With the door open I had to coxes her to reach out the open door but she finally tried it and then she was laughing. We had a wonderful time at the pick nick but I had leave early. I still had to fly out to Sidney before dark to go to school on Monday. We took off and Crete was to the south west and Diann pointed west and said can we go that way.Well OK. After a few minutes she started pointing out farms that belonged to her Mother's Family. This her first time up and she new exactly where we were. What she showed me was her place in my life my navigator. At the wedding reception Treka told us after she and Max dropped me off at the Crete airport that night she bet Max $1,000,000 that Diann and I would be married (and she wasn't kidding about the money). I suspect we were set up and I sure am glad. Later we bought that Cub and we still have it now if I could just get the time and money to make it flyable again. I am posting this a little early our Daughter is expecting to have a son this week so I might not have much to do with the computer later.

Back