• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 2A042 engine, Teledyne mil. surplus, flown on Mini-Max - SOLD

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

danmoser

4-stroke, 2 cylinder horizontally opposed with 42 cubic inches displacement.
This engine model can reportedly put out 22 hp at 3500 RPM in stock configuration.
One guy recently told me he's getting over 30hp out of it with milled heads, and various other hot rod tricks.
Reportedly weighs about 85 lb. installed.

This particular engine was previously flown direct-drive on a Mini-Max owned by Kevin from WV.
Special aluminum tubing coiled oil cooler.
You can see it on YouTube : Kevins Mini-Max Ultralight - Teledyne Engine - YouTube

I bought the engine from him 2 years ago, but realize now it is too big for my Moni project.
$500 plus shipping from Salt Lake City.
PM or call if you have questions. Thanks!

Dan 801-502-4379

Last edited:

danmoser

I still have this flight-proven 2A042 boxer twin engine in nice condition, and no use for it.
It's time to clear out the shop to focus on other projects.
Price reduced to $400 plus shipping from Salt Lake City.
I'd like to sell it to someone on this forum who has a good home for it.
If not, it'll probably be listed in eBay in a couple weeks.
Call Dan at (801) 502-4379 if you have questions or need more pictures, info., etc.

Last edited:

Pops

Supporting Member
4-stroke, 2 cylinder horizontally opposed with 42 cubic inches displacement.
This engine model can reportedly put out 22 hp at 3500 RPM in stock configuration.
One guy recently told me he's getting over 30hp out of it with milled heads, and various other hot rod tricks.
Reportedly weighs about 85 lb. installed.

This particular engine was previously flown direct-drive on a Mini-Max owned by Kevin from WV.
Special aluminum tubing coiled oil cooler.
You can see it on YouTube : Kevins Mini-Max Ultralight - Teledyne Engine - YouTube

I bought the engine from him 2 years ago, but realize now it is too big for my Moni project.
$500 plus shipping from Salt Lake City.
PM or call if you have questions. Thanks!

Dan 801-502-4379
Kevin is an old friend of mine. I haven't flown his MM but he has flown the 50 miles to my field many, many times. I did taxi it down to the end of the runway to top off his 5 gal fuel tank. Its a great running little engine.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
Do you also have a prop and prop hub that Kevin might have used? Thinking of building another plane and still have the 2A042 in my mind for the engine.

Lynn
(573) 286-3335 Cell (voice, text and photos OK)

reo12

Supporting Member
I made some - well - lots of revisions and additional info to my message from yesterday.
I don't know if this screws up the message string for folks.

Some FYI for you. I used to make prop hubs for some of the military standard engines. The 1-08, 2-016 and 4-032 mono block engines shared a similar crankshaft output dimension. The larger military standard 2-042 and the 4-084 engines shared a significantly larger crank shaft output dimension. Both engine series used a tapered crankshaft output that had a woodruff key for establishing the proper location on the crankshaft for the flywheel. The flywheel is marked for ignition timing and is referenced via an opening in the bellhousing. There are no other timing marks.

Thus when removing the bellhousing and flywheel to install a prop hub you loose the intended method of establishing timing. The taper fit of the hub onto the crankshaft can be so secure as to generally be considered nearly permanent. I've had multiple folks destroy hubs trying to remove them after installing them and tightening the retaining bolt. The only reliable means of removing the hub without significant damage is to use a puller that bolts to the prop mounting holes and bears against a slightly loosened crankshaft center bolt. A slight amount of heat from a torch while under the puller's tension usually releases the hub's grip.

The most successful method for being able to check timing after removal of the flywheel and bellhousing is to make absolutely certain that the timing is correct before disassembly. Then decide if a new timing indication method is to use the alternator magnet assy and make reference pointer to work with it or a pointer that uses the prop hub and marks on the hub to indicate timing. The pull rope/alternator magnet assy is keyed to the crank shaft so does have the advantage of being removable and not loosing the proper orientation of the user applied timing marks like would happen with the prop hub as the prop hubs are not generally keyed to the crank shaft. Some folks chose to use a timing light for determining the proper ignition point. Other folks worked with a degree wheel.

There have been folks who successfully made prop hubs from the center of the flywheels. These flywheels are unusual in that they have a 4 bolt pattern and pilot boss for a PTO stub shaft to be bolted to the crankshaft. During the manufacture of the flywheel, a cast steel insert is placed in the center of the mold prior to casting the "aluminum" flywheel and encapsulating the insert in the white metal. This insert is only slightly larger than the crankshaft diameter. It does not extend into the PTO bolt holes. There is not much material surrounding the PTO bolt holes on the 8 cubic inch per cylinder engines and it is a small bolt pattern. The 21 cubic inch per cylinder 2-042 & 4-084 engines have a larger PTO bolt pattern though again - not an impressive amount of material surrounding bolt holes to lend support to the holes.

Sorry I can't provide you with a print for the prop hub at this time. Mine were lost when I had a fire at the shop. We had the crankshaft taper information on the old yahoo surplus engines groups. If needed I can make a sketch of one of my remaining 2-042/4-084 hubs some day. Those hubs used the original flanged flywheel retaining bolt to secure them to the crank and a plug that fit into the hub to center the propellor. I do not believe I still have a hub for the smaller engine series. I made a custom mounting bolt for those from A311 stressproof that had hexagon wrenching flats, a 1" prop centering diameter, a flange for retaining the hub and was threaded for the crankshaft center hole. I know I came across some of the bolts while shoveling out the shop after the fire and saved them somewhere.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't provide you with a print for the prop hub at this time. Mine were lost when I had a fire at the shop.
I was saddened to hear about your fire, Ron. I was on Brie’s Yahoo group with you, back before she wigged out at some new Yahoo policy and just deleted the whole site, archives and all, with no previous notice. I intended to buy one of your hubs for $140, but life kept distracting me away from it. Hard to believe that was over a decade ago...
Andy

reo12

Supporting Member
I was saddened to hear about your fire, Ron. I was on Brie’s Yahoo group with you, back before she wigged out at some new Yahoo policy and just deleted the whole site, archives and all, with no previous notice. I intended to buy one of your hubs for $140, but life kept distracting me away from it. Hard to believe that was over a decade ago...
Andy
Hi Andy,
I truly felt rather betrayed by how the list and archives was managed and removed from public access. Then shortly after that we had the loss of the yahoo forums and it's huge data base that the hundreds of groups had. It was so hard for me to imagine actually happening that I failed to take better steps at creating my own archive.

Then - my own archives were corrupted this summer by a computer that simply deleted folders or folder contents without any notice. Not just on the computer but also flash drives and a portable hard drive that was my ultimate back up. Files and folders that were there one day - were gone the next time I checked for them. That was stunning. I had taken photos of the prints I had for the hubs to have back up versions of the prints. I had them with some photos of the hubs and things folks did with the engines. The photos are now gone.

I'm not confident that I recall the crank shaft taper on the 2-042/4-084. I think it was 6 degrees. Do you recall?

My new 2-042 got quite hot in the fire. It may be salvageable. Might not be worth the effort though. I lost a lot of engines and components in the fire. I expect to be newly realizing things that were lost in the fire for the rest of my life. I do still have 2 new in crate 4-084 engines that were in another building. I need to sell them as I need to down size my life's plans.

Yeah, Yahoo didn’t give us much notice, but Brie gave NO notice: it was just gone. That sucks that you got some kind of worm deleting your files like that. All that work, just poof, like with the fire, but no noise and smoke.
I’ll measure my crank for you, Ron.
Have you decided yet what you’d like to get for your crated 4AO84s? Are they the complete genset, or just the engines/shrouds?

challenger_II

A friend of mine machined a prop hub for the AO-42/AO-84 engines from steel back in the days of the Yahoo Surplus Engine group. We sold several to members of the group. I will check to see if he still has the program file for the machine.

Erik Snyman

I have a 4A-084 engine in my shed with a hub on. I bought it from someone in the US with the hub already on it, so can`t say who made it. Short of removing the hub from the crank, I can take measurements/photos of it, should it be of any help.
Erik in Oz.

Hi Andy,
I truly felt rather betrayed by how the list and archives was managed and removed from public access. Then shortly after that we had the loss of the yahoo forums and it's huge data base that the hundreds of groups had. It was so hard for me to imagine actually happening that I failed to take better steps at creating my own archive.

Then - my own archives were corrupted this summer by a computer that simply deleted folders or folder contents without any notice. Not just on the computer but also flash drives and a portable hard drive that was my ultimate back up. Files and folders that were there one day - were gone the next time I checked for them. That was stunning. I had taken photos of the prints I had for the hubs to have back up versions of the prints. I had them with some photos of the hubs and things folks did with the engines. The photos are now gone.

I'm not confident that I recall the crank shaft taper on the 2-042/4-084. I think it was 6 degrees. Do you recall?

My new 2-042 got quite hot in the fire. It may be salvageable. Might not be worth the effort though. I lost a lot of engines and components in the fire. I expect to be newly realizing things that were lost in the fire for the rest of my life. I do still have 2 new in crate 4-084 engines that were in another building. I need to sell them as I need to down size my life's plans.
I wonder how many of us share that life outlook with you Ron. I also am struggling mightily to divest my aviation stuff...don't want to trash it but also want to leave it for my son who will just bring in a backhoe and dumpsters to save time to get the property on the market.

I wonder how many of us share that life outlook with you Ron. I also am struggling mightily to divest my aviation stuff...don't want to trash it but also want to leave it for my son who will just bring in a backhoe and dumpsters to save time to get the property on the market.
I’ve helped several widows/families sell off their “collections.” I let it go cheap, but never free. It keeps the irreplaceable in circulation and gives the family some cash. My “cut“ is never in cash, just something I could use, or need to rescue if it doesn’t sell. Rescuing this stuff is more important to me than making money from it. Unfortunately, people like me don’t get to rescue it all.

reo12

Supporting Member
Yeah, Yahoo didn’t give us much notice, but Brie gave NO notice: it was just gone. That sucks that you got some kind of worm deleting your files like that. All that work, just poof, like with the fire, but no noise and smoke.
I’ll measure my crank for you, Ron.
Have you decided yet what you’d like to get for your crated 4AO84s? Are they the complete genset, or just the engines/shrouds?
Hi, Brie is definitely a different sort. I try to understand and accept folks being from all walks of life and back grounds. That said - what happened was simply not reasonable.

I don't know for certain what caused the file deletion off my records. I suspect some sort of worm or virus. However some sites state it could be a file management problem within the computer. I tried a number of virus tests and found nothing. I can't say I'm all that versed on how to figure out what the problem is.

The engines I mentioned are new in crate 4A084 replacement engines. Just as are offered by Saturn Surplus for $1,850. www.saturnsurplus.com

I bought these over a decade ago a long way from home. They've been inside a dry, elevated, wood floor, insulated, modular building since I picked them up. I'd really like to get Saturn's prices...but will offer them at $1K ea.