For Sale 1946 Globe swift project in Germany / Denmark (shipping worldwide)

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

malte

I have a Globe Swift Project for sale.

The Globe Swift is a two seat sport plane, designed by "Pop" Johnson in the 1940s. Over 800 Swifts have been built.

Performance with C-125 engine:
Cruise Speed: ca. 120 KTAS
Range: ca. 1000 NM
Useful load: ca. 500 lbm / 230 kg

With the two airframes and engines, it is possible to rebuild one of these iconic elegant postwar aircraft. Due to other projects, I don't have time to rebuild it in foreseeable future, so the projects sadly have to go.

The package consists of
two Airframes (D-EAWS and D-ECEZ)
two Engines Continental C125
one set of papers (D-EAWS)
no propeller
no instruments
some parts are already been reworked, some need to be finished. For a skilled metal worker, this is not a huge problem. But it is more work than just assembly.

Price is €8000 (currently approx. USD 9400). Price is negotiable.

Will be able to ship worldwide at cost (container).

More pictures / info on request. The project is located in Padborg EKPB close to the German/Danish border.

Attachments

Pilot-34

A lovely little plane that looks like it should be so much better than it is.
One sat at the east end of Merrill field for many years and I remember thinking it looked like the fastest plane in the state.

rv7charlie

Hmmm. Define 'better'. It's true that they aren't quite as fast as they look, due to some basic (in retrospect) aero issues. But have you flown one? I've got just under 200 hrs in one that had most of the typical mods; sliding canopy, 'P-51' gear doors, an IO320 followed by an angle valve IO360, etc. They are likely the closest you will ever get to decent handling in a certified platform. My followup to the Swift was an RV4; of all the planes I've flown, only the Swift comes anywhere close to the -4s handling. And it *was* close.

Charlie

Pilot-34

Looks fast should be fast!
What’s the point of a Lamborghini that drives like a dump truck?
As long as you know going in that it’s going to take some work to turn it into a Lamborghini that it’s OK.

What are the basic issues with it?

TFF

The problem with the Swift is they stopped making them a long time ago, so you either have an efficient vintage plane or a hot rod with 100 STCs that would have been the best homebuilt ever made.
There is some pretty serious people in middle TN that turn out refurbished Swifts.

TFF

Lamborghini LM002 looks like a truck done right to me. Until the last twenty years most people thought Lamborghinis drove like dump trucks.

rv7charlie

The Swift Association owns the type certificate, and IIRC, most of the production tooling. It's been about 15 years since I owned mine, but back then you could get just about anything you needed through them. Not really any worse for parts than the much more common cert a/c from that era, with the advantage (for those 'adept' at owner maintenance) that for all practical purposes, it can be maintained a lot like a homebuilt. Future ADs extremely unlikely, and the average IA doing the annual won't know stock from mod. Of course, the one I owned didn't have any of that kind of thing going on....

Really, the worst thing about them is that they are old, with the same age related issues that plague any 50-75 year old a/c, and that they are retracts, which look cool but as RVs demonstrate, do little for speed at anything under 200 mph, with all the maintenance/risk downsides.

Malte,

I'm very glad you're in Germany, and not in the southeast USA.....

Charlie

Pilot-34

A '66 GTO (American variety) with 3 2 barrels looked fast; was fast. I know; I owned one. It drove like a dump truck.
Lol. Ok I give you that one.
My 72 ford cobra 429 looks fast , is fast and drives like a dump truck, I figured that was fair since it will hall about the same load....

patrickrio

A '66 GTO (American variety) with 3 2 barrels looked fast; was fast. I know; I owned one. It drove like a dump truck.
Actually did corner and brake like a dump truck.... but I'm sure you didn't buy it to corner and brake anyway, am-I-right?.

rv7charlie

Well... I matured a lot between age 19 & age 20. Sold the GTO & bought an MG Midget. Most fun car I've ever owned; the Alpha Spyder I bought next was a step down on the fun meter.

Marc W

I started with a 1959 MGA. What a fun little car in the hills and hollers in east Tennessee! I wanted more power so I bought a 1964 Corvette. What a disappointment! Yes, it drove like a dump truck.

TFF

I bet you both wish you had the dump trucks now.
I still have my first Spitfire and two Alfa Spiders. MGs always depend on years. I had a 72 Midget and BGT. My friend’s 71 B started it all. Alfas were designed for rougher roads of Italy that’s why they are softer, but you can’t beat the engine. I never owned it but I loved driving a 65 Vette that kind of fell in my lap in high school. It had no brakes and would diesel on 91 octane. It was rough riding but i loved it.

Marc W

I wish I had either one of those cars. The Vette was a straight line machine but that is still my favorite body style of all the Corvettes.