13B cad drawings?

Discussion in 'Mazda Rotary' started by Will Aldridge, Jan 15, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Even though this relates to my Corsair/Spitfire thread I thought i would start a new thread for those who are interested in getting cad drawings of the mazda rotary engine.

I am playing with the idea of putting one in my plane and was wondering if anyone knows were to find cad drawings of the 13B(2d or 3d)? I did a quick search and found a solid works model but I need something Rhino can open.

Also if anyone has cad drawings of the PSRU commonly used on a rotary I would appreciate that as well.

2. Jan 15, 2012 #2

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'd recommend you go to Paul Lamar's site: Aircraft Rotary Engine News Letter You might find a link to a Rhino drawing there (the site's a bit cluttered). He's a big fan on Rhino, and I've seen many 13B drawings he's done with it (with various exhaust systems, turbo setups, engine mounts, etc). I'll bet he's also got a Rhino rendering of Tracy Crook's PSRU. He also has a "newsletter"-- really an email list) that covers a lot of teriritory--you could subscribe to that for free. He's got strong opinions and some might say he has rather "rigid" views on the right way to do things (Hint--he's not a fan of mounting the engine with the spark plugs up--mention that and you'll start a fight!). But when you say 13B and Rhino, I think of Paul. He's also generous with his time--he's designed probably twenty 13B engine mounts for people who asked.

Here's one of many drawing's he's done:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #3

4trade

4trade

4trade

That site is great source to find info. He really know┬┤s his rotary engine and all things related for aircraft use. I think it is best site in a net. I was at newsletter list for two year and there is tons of info too....

4. May 14, 2013 #4

wizzardworks

wizzardworks

wizzardworks

5. Jul 11, 2013 #5

yellow_submarin

yellow_submarin

yellow_submarin

Guys, rush to grabcad.com ! They have some very useful CAD models, particularly aircraft engines, and several Mazda wankels, included a 13B IIRC.

6. Jul 11, 2013 #6

Monty

Monty

Monty

Just make sure to verify the dimensions on any file you download. I downloaded a file for the 13B that looked very complete and wound up having to rebuild a lot of it to the correct dimensions. A lot of those files are just people doing "art", not really making good cad files.

The Lamar engine block is fairly close. I should know, I did the original cad file. He added all the other assorted doo-dads. I traced the actual housings on graph paper and modeled from that. The files are good enough for form studies, cowlings etc, but I wouldn't design any high accuracy parts using them.

Topaz likes this.
  7. Jul 11, 2013 #7

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Got your pm Monty. I already have Paul's or I guess your cad file. I'm not sure if the accessories on the back are from a rx7 or a rx8 though.