• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

125hp Four seat low wing plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschuld

I ran into this Australian business Morgan Aero and this 4 seater caught my attention. The bit under preliminary information just below has left me wondering a few things: That appears to be a pretty big weight and balance swing for such a lightweight plane and for such modest power, even with the 10ft tail span. A Jabiru 3300 is simply a 200 cubic inch 6 cylinder opposed air cooled direct drive engine, rated at 25hp more than a factory 0-200 of the same size(the Jabiru does have higher compression though). And the plane flies with a fixed pitch prop. The stall speeds are given at 38mph clean, 32mph flaps down. Even at minimum weight, that's an awfully slow stall for a 4 seater with 110sq ft of wing area! :lick:

This is a flying plane, in fact Morgan Aero has it for sale:
Morgan Aeroworks - Aircraft For Sale

I am not trying to be negative here, or discredit MorganAero in any way. I'm just looking to learn more about how this plane can possibly manage to do what what it advertises.

George

Morgan aero website specs on the Cougar:
Morgan Aeroworks - Cougar

Preliminary Information

The Cougar is an all metal 4 seat aircraft. It will have the ability to carry 4 people (2x200lbs front / 2x175lbs rear), 26 gallons of fuel and baggage up to a maximum take off weight (MTOW) of 1765lbs. The Cougar can be de-rigged, put into a trailer and made ready for transport in under 10 minutes.
header-four.jpg

Specifications

Performance Estimates

Cruise - Sea Level130 KtsVne160 KtsManoeuvring Speed90 Kts (Max)Cruise - 8000 ft. (Indicated)TBAStall - Clean33 KtsStall - Flaps28 KtsRate of Climb - Sea Level (@ 80 Kts, 1 up, full fuel)1200 fpmGlide Ratio12:1Take-Off Roll 150mLanding Distance (Over 50m Obsticle) TBALanding Roll (One person on board with light braking)60m Take-Off Distance (Over 50m Obsticle) TBAService Ceiling10,000 ftFuel Consumption (Jabiru 3300 - 6 Cylinder 125hp)18-28 Litres p/hUntil flight testing is completed, the performance figures quoted are only an estimate.
Dimensions

Cabin Width42 Inches (Standard)Baggage Space1.4 Cubic MetersLength - Spinner to Rudder
22'Wing Span
26'Wing Chord -
Root/Tip 1.50m / 1.05m
Wing Area 110.5 Sq Feet
Tailplane Span 10'Height
(Rudder Tip) 2.0m
(Tri-Gear) Wheel Base (Mains) 1.76m
Empty Weight 353 Kg (780lbs)
Maximun Take Off Weight (MTOW)800 Kg (1765lbs)

Power Plants

Jabiru 3300 - 6 Cylinder125hpSubaruTBALycomingTBAContinentalTBA

Back