• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Where should we use RG400 instead of RG58?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, I have a roll of RG58, and I was intending to go from all of my VHF radios to their antennas with the stuff. VOR's, ILS, COM radios. Already have it in the wings for VOR/ILS reception, setting up in the fuselage for a couple VHF COM antenna, transponder, etc with it.

But folks are hot on RG400 for some stuff, it is 50 Ohm, lower loss than RG58... and pricey too. So, is there any point in using RG400 over RG58? What advantages does it give? In what applications is it detectably better? Where is it just a waste of money over RG58? I am going digital and flat panel displays along with an IFR GPS/NAV/COM populated almost exclusively from Dynon. Is RG58 OK for VHF but RG400 is needed elsewhere, like on the Mode S Antenna?

Back story is we went to install ADS-B in the wife's RANS S6 and they use RG174 for GPS antenna (two already in the bird, a third for WAAS is prewired with RG174 too. But our hangar mate and our A&P say RG400 is for the new transponder antenna. Please help me know which COAX I should use where?

Billski

Back