You tell me???

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by FlyLane, Jan 19, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1

FlyLane

FlyLane

FlyLane

For a first time builder and flyer would the Affordaplane be a good choice for me and a friend to Build or is there another suggestion from you guys on what to build for a first Ultralight should we go with a trike??

2. Jan 19, 2010 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Affordaplane, Airbike, and Legal Eagle might be good choices (not sure which ones meet the Part 103 weight). A Trike would be OK, but keep in mind that trikes are weight shift, so they fly differently and are more restrictive in their speed and maneuvering capability.

Airdrome also has some interesting planes. This one looks like it might be Part 103 compliant:

http://www.airdromeairplanes.com/TheDreamClassic.html

Whatever you choose, be sure to get some flight training for the appropriate type of craft. Regardless of how simple and slow the craft looks, it can still hurt you.

Bruce :)

3. Jan 19, 2010 #3

mcjon77

mcjon77

mcjon77

My vote would be for the Legal Eagle over the affordaplane. The Legal Eagle has a VERY active builder's group, with the designer participating. It not only comes with plans, but also has instructional videos. Most importantly, there are a lot of Legal Eagles flying. Search youtube for Legal Eagle videos and you will see several flying examples. Do the same for the affordaplane. I only saw two videos of the same guy doing crow hops.

4. Jan 19, 2010 #4

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I agree with Jon. You'll have a broader support base with the Legal Eagle over the Affordaplane and Airbike (though there are quite a few Airbikes flying too).

5. Jan 19, 2010 #5

FlyLane

FlyLane

FlyLane

Okay so the Legal Eagle now I know this next step is a long way away what is this I hear about a tail dragger being tricky to land and also the fact that the closest instructer around is roughly 1000 miles away so how does a fellow go about learning to fly a craft he has made in his garage w/o killing him self or the bird the first few flights?

6. Jan 19, 2010 #6

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Don't let a tailwheel intimidate you. While they have their own little quirks, they are not as difficult as most people make them out to be. Add to that, the Legal Eagle will take-off and land so short and slow that the tailwheel will probably not have enough time to get you into trouble. Plus, even if you get in trouble with a tailwheel, it is usually just a case of dinging your bird, but not likely to be severe enough to cause injury to yourself.

As for instructors, I'm sure you can find some much closer than 1,000 miles. Even a little time in a Champ or Cub would help a lot in the preparation to fly a Legal Eagle (the main difference being that the Legal Eagle is lightweight so you will have to keep your nose lower in the glide to maintain airspeed).

7. Jan 19, 2010 #7

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

You do it by getting instruction... even if you have to drive 1000 miles (which I doubt).

-Dana

Can I deduct last years taxes as a bad investment?

8. Jan 20, 2010 #8

bob.shea

bob.shea

bob.shea

You could always make a vacation out of it. Take a week or ten days and go get 5 intence days of training. that could get you to 15 or 20 hours of seat time. your life is worth it.

9. Jan 20, 2010 #9

FlyLane

FlyLane

FlyLane

Thanks for the advice I like the idea of a making it a trip we will see what the wife says lol the legal eagle seems to be the choice what is the best engine choice for this bird

10. Jan 20, 2010 #10

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

In Ohio you have one of the most experienced UL instructors in the business right there... Mark at Tri-State Kites. Not sure if he's still instructing, he's pretty bitter about the way the whole fat UL / LSA thing turned out but he can certainly point you in the right direction.

As for an engine for the LE, the 1/2VW seems to be a popular choice.

-Dana

HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks, Dave. DAVE!

11. Feb 4, 2010 #11

Hart Aero

Hart Aero

Hart Aero

Banned

I had a modified legal eagle for a while and it was great fun to fly. Fairly simple and pretty rugged and should be a good choice for beginner build project. Some time in a Cub, Taylorcraft, Champ or even a Luscombe are highly recommended or you will groundloop it and hurt yourself!

Sincerely,
    Doug Hart

12. Sep 19, 2011 #12

FlyLane

FlyLane

FlyLane

Thread saver so I'm still lolling to start and also waiting on the spratt 103 plans any fresh ideas?

13. Sep 21, 2011 #13

inventing_man

inventing_man

inventing_man

Yeah. heres an idea, Get a powered paraglider and a trike , and go have FUN! Weeeee!
    Got to fly one this weekend and it is GRATE! . I'm hooked ! Not wait'n here.
    If you call my cell and I dont answer, it's cause I'm flying !

14. Sep 22, 2011 #14

corvettercr

corvettercr

corvettercr

i know this isnt a kit plane but if you can find one and rebuild it it would be a great investment. there is a few out there and some for sale fairly cheap. its a taildragger with no bad tendencys than i can tell. it tought me how to fly and it is the plane i soloed in. check out my avitar for a reference pic and also go to youtube and type in b1-rd. the plane im reffering to is the robertson b1-rd. very very nice flying plane. and it is sooooooo slow to boot. i fly dang near everyother day. has the clasic cub controls and will take off in just 50'

new sails are still being made and the company only used a/n hardware on it. landing the b1 is absolutly the esiest part but...................find some instruction first !!! please. your life depends on it. while i dont have much i do have a good pilot freind that lets me fly his 172 from time to time and that helped imensly, getting the feel of climbing and decending and banking you really need to understand the weather and be prepared for a deadstick landing everytime you go up. i do and thankfully i have never had to make an emergency landing however i practice them with every flight.

the b1 is a part 103 legal as well. good luck with what ever you choose to build and fly and happy landings to all.