Yellow leading edges ?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by ebonheart_2, Nov 9, 2005.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 21, 2006 #21

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

"Just goes to show how we don't think deeply enough sometimes."

Made me think of this quote... :D

"The scientists of today think deeply, instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Nikola Tesla

There's got to be some simple reason for those darn yellow LEs other then looking pritty. I wonder why not red or blue or bright green or something?

2. Jan 21, 2006 #22

whirlybomber

whirlybomber

whirlybomber

maybe it was just close to the primer color, so when they had to patch up the dings in the l/e they would look good with only 1 coat of paint?

seeing as the l/e of the wing would pick up the most dings and so on.......

maybe? maybe not? :confused:

3. Jan 22, 2006 #23

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

That could certainly be it.. your guess is as good as ours.

It's aviously not something really important or there'd be some documentation floating around somewhre about it. Ground crew stuff or ease of ding repair sounds pritty good to me... I've sent some e-mails out to some restoration places in hopes they might know... since they paint them back and everything. :confused:

4. Jan 24, 2006 #24

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

Only one person replyed to any of my e-mails... and I dont think they knew what I was asking becuase they were Dutch. :ermm: they just gave me a couple of links that didnt help.

5. Jan 25, 2006 #25

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

I've noticed a few Spitfires that had white leading edges instead of yellow ones. :confused: I kinda think that looked better, but I still have no idea what it's there for.

Since the planes (the spits) also had red squares around their .303s I'm begining to think the yellow (or white) on the LEs was for the ground crew; because the red squares would'nt help the pilot, or other pilots, to see the plane, and I dont think they would need to see where their guns are on the planes wings while flying around... it had to be for something other than flying... in my opinion.

6. May 2, 2006 #26

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

7. May 2, 2006 #27

wally

wally

wally

The red lines in your pictures look to me to deliniate areas that you are not to walk on. If you have seen old pictures of B-52 airplanes, the vertical stab has some lines on the side of it like those. When it is hinged to the side for maintenance, you can walk on it, staying inside the lines.

It is pretty common to put stripes and lines and information all over military planes and even commercial planes too. The planes I work on have red lines marking where the steps go, how far you can turn the nose gear when towing, and lots of other markings.
    Wally

8. May 3, 2006 #28

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

9. Jul 27, 2006 #29

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

ebonheart_2

Not that it's important... but I recently 'noticed' that the LE paint could show the ground crews where the prop stops... like dont go pass this paint OR ELSE type thing.

http://www.targetware.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11059
    This first picture seems backwards (the yellow is inside instead of outside) but it could certainly serve that purpose... they all seem to stop near half way or so.. I think that's it, finally. :D