• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

XFLR5 and High Wing Tandem Pusher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I have been playing with XFLR5 with a low wing side-by-side tractor configuration, and every thing looks good as a preliminary design.

But when I try a high wing tandem pusher (something like the challenger II) configuration, I can't get it to 'Trim'.

This is what I have been doing: 1)set up the wing planform and tail feathers with guestimates for their mass 2)analyze the airfoils 3)place poing masses for the pilot, passenger, engine, and fuel 4)analyze over a range of angles of attack. 5)adjust the wing incidence so the maximum CL/CD is at alpha=0 6)adjust the wing forward and back until CM=0 at alpha=0 7)do a stability analysis.

As I said, the low wing side by side tractor configuration works fine, but the tandem pusher highwing says something about "can't trim model" and "negative lift found at alpha=x.xxxx degrees", and then exits with an error.

Seems to me that it would be a simple matter to move the wing back and forth until the engine just balances the pilot, with the passenger at (or near) the CG.

Is there something here I am missing? Or have I discovered one of the limitations of XFLR5?

Anyone else on here done a high wing tandem pusher configuration?

Back