Wooden floor size suggestion please?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv7charlie

To meet the clear span goal,

Are you familiar with steel-clad exterior doors, as used in the USA? 1.75" of foam, with very thin steel glued to each side. (image attached) Same concept as most plastic a/c these days (Glassair, Lancair, etc). I built a hangar addition using 5' long, 22" wide 'scraps' of those doors, with the structure on 5' centers. You can jump up & down on those 5' spans and they barely deflect.

If you use 1/4" or 3/8" foam, and skin it (using full coverage structural cement) both sides with even .016 aluminum, it'll be pretty strong. If you use 1/4" ply, you could probably use aluminum flashing material (~.010") for the skin. The wood core would give better impact (dent) resistance and compressive strength, and the aluminum would provide the tension element. Edges could be capped with U-channel formed from the flashing material to keep water out & stiffen the edges. 'Composite' construction, but using wood/aluminum instead of foam/glass.

Charlie

Attachments

AdrianS

To meet the clear span goal,

Are you familiar with steel-clad exterior doors, as used in the USA? 1.75" of foam, with very thin steel glued to each side. (image attached) Same concept as most plastic a/c these days (Glassair, Lancair, etc). I built a hangar addition using 5' long, 22" wide 'scraps' of those doors, with the structure on 5' centers. You can jump up & down on those 5' spans and they barely deflect.

If you use 1/4" or 3/8" foam, and skin it (using full coverage structural cement) both sides with even .016 aluminum, it'll be pretty strong. If you use 1/4" ply, you could probably use aluminum flashing material (~.010") for the skin. The wood core would give better impact (dent) resistance and compressive strength, and the aluminum would provide the tension element. Edges could be capped with U-channel formed from the flashing material to keep water out & stiffen the edges. 'Composite' construction, but using wood/aluminum instead of foam/glass.

Charlie
Some of those foam cores emit toxic fumes if burned.
We use them in the factory at work, and got a warning about keeping welders and grinders away.

rv7charlie

Some of those foam cores emit toxic fumes if burned.
We use them in the factory at work, and got a warning about keeping welders and grinders away.
No doubt. I suspect that the same caution would apply to any plastic a/c, including the certified ones.

Mad MAC

I've seen aluminium faced sandwich panels with various cores sold for outdoor signs, of all things.
I can't remember how I found them.
I have seen 2 types of those sign board materials, aluminum facing on a solid plastic core about 3/8" thick (which might actually work for this) and 3/4" thick alumnium honey comb with aluminum facing, would recommmend advoiding the later for anything remotely structrural, its uses a really soft core and facing and a low temperture glue which means any insert hard points will have a really low structural capicity, and if anyone thinks it is a proper honey comb panel and hits it with a bit of heat to get the insert out or the like, the whole will just de-laminate (go on ask me how I know).

Mad MAC

Sorry I believe it was Grenfell...
Several hundred vertical meters laid out in a chimney shape changes the burn properties somewhat.

Would be interesting to see if it would pass a Part 23, appendix F burn test (it might, thick paper probably would). Flat on the floor would mean it probadly only burn about the edges without a fire sufficient break through the clad, at which point the cockpit contents would be char-grilled.

rotax618

Yes Mad Mac you are right, many of the materials we use in homebuilding are combustible, and they are safe. I really haven’t looked at that cladding material as far as its mechanical properties are concerned.

Group Builder