• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing tips.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer956

What are the best wing tips for use on a sonerai ii. I have the stock wing tips but have seen alot of sonerai i with a rv4 style wing tip. What is the best type of filler to use on the wing to cover all the wing rivits. How does the wings flexing affect the filler.

Hoerner tips changed the way the plane landed quite a bit. It does not seem to just quit flying like it did with standard tips.

I tried bondo and micro on my wings and ended up using micro for easier sanding. I also used epoxy dyes on each progressive layer of filler so I could tell when I was sanding into the previous layer.

be careful of what the body shop tries to sell you its not flexible enough!

go with micro

ugh, bondo. I just finished stripping the wings that came with my project. It seemed like a crazy amount of filler was used before a HEAVY application of epoxy primer. I haven't done the post removal weigh in yet. Why did you guys decide to fill the rivets? Is it more aesthetics , or do you feel there are real performance gains there?

Derrick

A local boat store carries West System epoxy so that is what I use for the most part. I just bought micro balloons and mixed them different consistencies for whatever I was doing. The trick to easy sanding is to wet out the area that you are going to fill with just epoxy and then cover it with a very dry micro mix. If you don't do the wet coat of epoxy first, the dry mix will not stick. If you leave the mix really wet its hard to sand.

Where may one acquire a set of the Hoerner wing tips ready to install on a Sonerai 2 ?

What is your timeframe? I have been intending on pulling a mold from mine and making some but its going to take me all winter to do it.

Well, I guess I'll have to wait on them!

What kind of foam core do you plan to use? Urethane? Polystyrene?

I would think nearly everyone with a Sonerai would want a set.

Thanks,
Ronzie

Back