Quantcast

Who would?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Daleandee

Not sure who would sell such and engine ... or who would buy such an engine. This is really sad ... Buyer Beware:

TFF

It would have been more interesting if it had been split open to see the that quality.

Bought sight unseen is a good way to get burned with anything.

Skip the price, I imagine someone got it cheap and flipped it, but my other guess is the original builder built that engine 20 years ago, died, and has been passed around until the last seller scalped the buyer. Maybe some new parts slapped on for looks. It looks like the old style make it work homebuilt workmanship . If you have seen a homebuilt from the 60s it’s either beautiful or awful. I have seen plenty of that trash on certified planes too. Usually the barn finds.

What is unscrupulous is the seller not refunding. Hopefully the buyer did not sit on it for years either. You send it back and will return the money. That is how handshake business is made. That’s why it sounds like a non aviation seller.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Yeah, that's the classic WW broad brush. Someone bought a steaming pile of an engine sight-unseen, so all of Barnstormers is baddy-bad-bad. The seller probably has one of those nasty LLCs, too!

Reactions: TFF

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
his shirt is your biggest problem with this ?
No, the shirt is something that detracted from whatever he was saying.

I know that regardless of any and all of the personality issues and controversies that have surrounded him, WW definitely does know quite a lot about the engine. I also know that the engine in that video cosmetically looked like a piece of junk, and I can only assume that his comments (about the size of the cooling shrouds being inadequate, incorrect sealants, lack of 5th bearing, etc. ) are accurate.

Just like everyone else on HBA, I can vouch for the correctness of some of his comments, like nylon locknuts on an engine, use of an air line QD fitting instead of a hose barb, etc. That kind of s**t would get me really upset too.

If there is something else going on that I don't know about, like some bizarre feud between him and Lorraine (the founder/owner of Barnstormers) that he was also positioning, then I'm all ears.

TFF

I always get a chuckle with the nylock on the carbs because they are legal on lots of planes but not Cessnas where they had a carb fall off and create an AD. Short bolts ok, no understanding. But hacking when you should at least mention lock tabs is a better solution over nylock is another no understanding.

Pilot-34

Yeah I didn’t get his point about barnstormers either I can’t to see where you bought that engine making any difference.
The comment about LLC seemed a little needless to me the only purpose of any corporation is to escape liability

Daleandee

I see a bit of "attacking the messenger" happening and grown people are free to do as they see fit but that wasn't the reason I posted the video. If there was a scoundrel in the video it ain't the guy in work clothes shouting a warning but rather the swindler that sold that piece of junk for 5K. The lesson is don't ever buy sight unseen and if you don't have a clue find someone you trust that does.

I have to admit that I almost hurt my self when I seen the air chuck fitting being used as a fuel inlet fitting. Perhaps that's where the nitrous oxide is plumbed into the system ... :popcorn:

Daleandee

Swindlers have been around for centuries and aviation is not immune. I would have never thought to make a video rant about it.
I'm glad he did as he does have a vested interest in Corvair conversions when they are done right and when they are done wrong. William has been working on a reliable Corvair conversion engine for over 30 years. Dan Weseman recently became another major factor in the reliability of Corvair engines. When this kind of junk gets sold and promoted as what a converted Corvair engine is it can really effect the thinking of those that might consider a Corvair as a power plant for their experimental airplane and thus the market for such.

I have an excellent example of what a properly converted and built Corvair engine can be (mine was built by Dan Weseman) and I try to maintain it according to the standards given by those that do the conversion and building of these engines.

William is simply trying to get the news out about junk Corvairs to those that visit his web site looking for information. I think any vendor of any conversion would do and maybe has done much the same. I have no problem with being forewarned as "forewarned is forearmed."

YMMV ... but I doubt it!