which rotary for conversion?

Discussion in 'Mazda Rotary' started by slociviccoupe, May 21, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 21, 2011 #1

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

talking about 13b's here, which year model is most common for conversion? would asume the 13b from the second gen rx7 turbo 2 is probably the most common.
    but basically asking which side housings are mostly being used. would think the 4 port side housings.

haven't got my rotary conversion manual yet but have read whats involved.

anyone have definate answers on the differences in models and years of the different side ports.

2. May 24, 2011 #2

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

anyone? any yeah or model that is better than others. have read that the second gen turbo rotors are best. but any difference between turbo and non turbo rotary housings? doing all the research i can on the rotary car forums but they have a different use than we do.

3. Jul 26, 2011 #3

SHIPCHIEF

SHIPCHIEF

SHIPCHIEF

My engine is a mix of parts.
    The old 12b & 13b engines with carbs and distributors are not usually considered because they are hard to find and get parts for. Any 13b from about 1986 on is a good starting point. I like the pulse counter in the old style distributor base. I think my engine has some late model turbo parts in it, housings and oil pump etc. It's been a while since I got it....
    Just get an engine from somewhere cheap, like craigslist, and take it apart. Get a Mazda RX7 service manual, and Tracy Crooks conversion manual.
    After you get greasy and handle the parts, you will start to combine that with what you read and then you will be on your way!
    My first couple of free and cheap engines never got re-assembled, but they were a great help. Damaged parts tell a story as well.

4. Jul 26, 2011 #4

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

From Tracy's web site:

Tracy recommends the 4 port Renesis (from a RX-8 with an automatic transmission). The reason for this is:
    - it allows for a simpler manifold design
    - it will already have the automatic transmission counterweight (which is required for all our gear reduction drives).
    If you plan to use our gear drive, you also need a fly wheel (also called a flex plate) from an RX-7 car 1986-1991 model years.
    If you decide to get a 6 port engine, you will need to REMOVE the manual transmission fly wheel and install an automatic transmission counter weight from a 4 port/automatic RX-8. You also need to get the RX-7 1986-1991 fly wheel (flex plate).
    Note: As of the 2007 model year ALL RX-8 cars (both automatic and manual) will have 6 port engines. If you acquire a 2007 or later engine, try to get an AUTOMATIC transmission engine as it will already have the required automatic transmission counter weight.
    Accessories
    Try to get the Renesis coils, injectors and fuel rails. The 6 port engine comes with 6 injectors - 4 yellow and 2 red. Tracy suggests using only FOUR of the 6 injectors - the 4 YELLOW injectors. You can use the stock fuel rail to fabricate the fuel rails for your installation.
    You can use the Renesis coils on the plane. If you do not get them with the engine, they are very expensive to purchase so.. instead, use the AC Delco LS1 coils. They cost less and are a little lighter.