• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

which engine for excavator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrisonaero

There are enough cheap-engine-types on here that maybe I can get some good advice...

I bought a really small excavator for building trails on my place and it has a 18 hp Kohler V-twin that has been converted to run off of propane. I don't know if the engine is really tired, the propane is setup wrong, it's a carb problem, or possibly a problem with the hydraulic pump or regulator but it will basically only run at idle or full throttle and then doesn't seem to have much power and stalls under load. At any reduced power setting it won't run well and stalls under load.

I don't mind dumping this engine if there isn't a quick fix. Partly because the propane is kind of a pain to deal with and doesn't have as much power as gas. And definitely no torque compared to diesel. So what are my options?

1. fix this old engine so it's running better and live with the reduced power of the propane fuel
2. replace with a 20+ hp gas v-twin (other options on bang-for-the-buck gas engines?)
3. replace with a more stock diesel engine (Yanmar?) and if so where do I buy one for cheap (rebuilt Yanmar or new Chinese v-twin diesel?)
4. other ideas?

Thanks gearheads :)

Back