• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What to build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortilon

I need a little help to get me in the right direction. I would like to get back in the air and the only choice is LS due to past heart problem. I have a DOT medical that says I can zing down the road at 75 mph with 50 people aboard a bus. But I can't fly an airplane solo over the cotton fields. Enough of that rant sorry.

I would like to work with wood because my home shop would be more suited for it. My dream would be to build a 7/8 scale FW-56 but two major problems arise. One is keeping it within the weight limit. and two finding a power plant that would fit. A Lom would be ideal but they are hens teeth. These FAA weight limits are a real PITA and incourage less than ideal construction. They have been the cause of more than one crash in the ultralight world.

I was leaning toward a Flybaby at one point but 13 wing failures have detoured me from that thought. My other choice is to weld up a fuse for the two C-120 wings I have lying about and bolt a C-85 or VW to it and go fly.

If I just could decide on a direction I can get off my butt and start cutting material.

Back