WEH2: Luscombe

Discussion in 'Classics' started by pwood66889, Aug 19, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 19, 2018 #1

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Read with interest:
    "Luscombe Foundation ... litigation into bankruptcy liquidation during 2004."
    Any body know the skinny? Weren't they the ones that owned the Type Certificate??
    BTW: WEH2 means What Ever Happened To...

Percy in NW FL, USA

2. Aug 20, 2018 #2

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Back in the '90's when I was restoring a Luscombe there was a contentious battle for the Type Certificate. It's a long and convoluted story but around 2003 some of the legal stuff was decided. Doug Combs and the Don Luscombe Aviation History Foundation (DLAHF) had to pay out ~2.5 million $$ to Renaissance Aircraft, a partner. There was another player in there called Team Luscombe. All three had been in some kind of deal to restart production of the airplane but all that went sour pretty quick. Combs founded a non-profit called the Luscombe Endowment in 2005 to raise money and try to save the company which led to more lawsuits. It's still not clear who owns the type certificate as there are still pending legal cases and I don't follow it that closely anymore.

3. Aug 20, 2018 #3

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

There is a lady who owns the type certificate now, I am told she is willing to sell the TC and production rights, but does not want to just sell it to anyone. No "twice cooked Luscombe" manufactured overseas, no Wall Street pump and dumpquickie flip artists, etc. Apparently she wants it to go to a good home, but she does not want to be in the business of manufacturing airplanes because she has bigger fish to fry elsewhere with other companies she owns. From what I understand the present owner is the one who was victorious in the recent lawsuits where people were producing airplanes or parts and they did not have the legal right to.