WANTED: Kolb Ultrastar

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Have a lot of skydiving experience and the "open" wind in your face concept appeals to me. I wouldn't rule out a firefly but they're usually more expensive.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
OK, understood. Consider the fact that the Firefly, without the windshield and fiberglass nose, will possibly give you the same wind in your face feeling, but I believe the Firefly is a more well-developed structure than the Ultrastar. There are several important advantages to the Firefly, so if you can get the same kind of flying experience with it then it should be a bit more desirable, stronger, fly better, etc. The Ultrastar propeller clearance to the ground is a lot less. Definitely the Firefly will give you a lot more safety in the event of a hard landing.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a lot of fun with my Ultrastar. Prop clearance is limited, as others have said, which limits not only ground clearance (stay away from tall grass and loose gravel) but the 50" prop and 2:1 redrive it requires doesn't give the performance a larger prop and redrive ratio would give.

Don't be afraid of the Cuyuna engine, it's really a decent engine when properly handled, just like any other 2-stroke... and parts are a lot cheaper than Rotax. OTOH I was thinking of putting on a 447 a friend gave me, I figured the extra 5HP would double my climb rate, but it flew great as it was so why bother?

Its other issue is the rigid landing gear... you gotta be able to land smoothly, flare too high and drop it in and you're going to bend something.

I would think the Rigid gear protected the prop somewhat although the new design uses tubular gear legs. I hope I can find one of these birds, they look like a lot of fun!

OK, understood. Consider the fact that the Firefly, without the windshield and fiberglass nose, will possibly give you the same wind in your face feeling, but I believe the Firefly is a more well-developed structure than the Ultrastar. There are several important advantages to the Firefly, so if you can get the same kind of flying experience with it then it should be a bit more desirable, stronger, fly better, etc. The Ultrastar propeller clearance to the ground is a lot less. Definitely the Firefly will give you a lot more safety in the event of a hard landing.
Do you know of any firefly projects for sale???