VSP

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Nope. I enrolled to use it a couple of years ago, and dabbled a bit. The amount of work needed to get something useful (not just a sketch but some understanding of the aerodynamics/forces that would be at work on the airplane under various flight regimes, the expected performance, control and stability issues, etc) definitely did not seem like a good exchange. Vortex lattice method--and trying to get the loosely "compatible" other programs to work together to do the work, looked like a lot of challenge and frustration, for a result that might or might not have been applicable.
But I'm sure some people love it.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Nope. I enrolled to use it a couple of years ago, and dabbled a bit. The amount of work needed to get something useful (not just a sketch but some understanding of the aerodynamics/forces that would be at work on the airplane under various flight regimes, the expected performance, control and stability issues, etc) definitely did not seem like a good exchange. Vortex lattice method--and trying to get the loosely "compatible" other programs to work together to do the work, looked like a lot of challenge and frustration, for a result that might or might not have been applicable.
But I'm sure some people love it.
+1 as well. With the caveat that my experience was with an early version, I found it very frustrating and counter-intuitive to use. The examples presented seemed to show some powerful capabilities, but the learning curve was more of a "learning Mt. Everest", and the program appeared to be so forcibly "generalized" that doing any kind of rational airplane design process of the kind with which I'm familiar was an uphill battle. I'm sure it's come a LONG way since then - I still get e-mail updates on latest features, etc. - but I didn't find it useful so I haven't gone back.

IMHO, the most useful general tool for airplane design is a spreadsheet. MS Excel, Google Sheets, whatever.

drstress

HBA Supporter
OpenVSP is a fantastic program. It challenges you to be a good engineer... to further your understanding of the "how and why" of your aircraft design. It allows easy and quick reconfiguration of airfoils, cabin sizing, engine/prop placement, empennage sizing and a whole lot more.

This is my latest design using OpenVSP:

Airplane 07.jpg

Spreadsheets are very important in aircraft design. My work in OpenVSP is heavily augmented with calculations using both Raymer and Roncz spreadsheets and hand calculation methodology from Roskam, Torenbeek, Raymer, Bruhn, Niu and Noels.

Before my retirement my last gig was with Boeing working on the empennage for the 787. Virtually all of the analysis was done using spreadsheets.

There is also an important spreadsheet NASA has published to use with OpenVSP: NASA Drag Buildup Workbook. You should get this to go along with OpenVSP.

Finally, the tutorials that go with OpenVSP are not the best. As is typical, software developers don't write good manuals to use their software. They assume that everybody knows what they know. (I think this challenges me to come to their level.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
OpenVSP is a fantastic program. It challenges you to be a good engineer... to further your knowledge of the "how and why" of aircraft design. It allows easy and quick reconfiguration of airfoils, cabin sizing, engine/prop placement, empennage sizing and a whole lot more.

This is my latest design using OpenVSP:

View attachment 73526

The work in OpenVSP was heavily augmented with calculations using both Raymer and Roncz spreadsheets and methodology from Bruhn, Niu and Noels.
Wow! May I ask what you have brewing there? We had a very interesting thread a while back regarding the potential for a small centerline thrust homebuilt, and it is still a concept in which I am very interested. We had a few candidate designs, and some numbers crunched via spreadsheet. More here: The Beetlemaster .

drstress

HBA Supporter
Vigilant1,

Thanks for the interest. I intend to start my own thread about my design. I don't want to go "off-topic" in this thread. I also appreciate the heads-up about "The Beetlemaster" thread. I will read it all.

Group Builder