Quantcast

Vittorazi Cosmos 300

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I just noticed this new liquid-cooled 32 hp single-cylinder engine from Vittorazi with the option of dual ignition and electric start, just 24.5 kg. Seems promising for Part 103, hopefully they are building with an eye toward tractor-mounted propellers as well. Cheers, Matthew

Attachments

n3puppy

I hope there is a translation problem on their website - says
The Cosmos 300, the last engine of the Vittorazi company, is a concentration of exceptional power

Hoping they mean the "latest" engine they make - not the final one.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That's a common mistake for speakers of Romance languages, my French wife does the same thing. In French (and I expect in Italian) the same word can mean both "latest" and "last" but you can tell the difference from context. It is similar to the way we can use "last" in English to mean "the one before this one" as in "I saw her last week" but also "no more after this one" as in "This is my last week in this job."

addicted2climbing

Log Member
That's a common mistake for speakers of Romance languages, my French wife does the same thing. In French (and I expect in Italian) the same word can mean both "latest" and "last" but you can tell the difference from context. It is similar to the way we can use "last" in English to mean "the one before this one" as in "I saw her last week" but also "no more after this one" as in "This is my last week in this job."
Ha ha. I also have a french wife and hear much of the same things. Its comical at times. Yet her worst english is better than my best effort in French

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I'm curious what these engines will cost. The most expensive engine from this manufacturer is a touch under $4K from their US Dealer Vittorazi Engines - Leading USA Supplier - Purchase Today! who lists this model, but no price. I'm thinking maybe as much as $6K? Still seems like a pretty good price, since it's complete with reduction drive, starter and exhaust. It seems they do not like to be tractors though, as Peter found out.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I heard back from Vittorazi on the Cosmos 300, “I inform you that it has not been planned to have a tractor configuration. Perhaps this configuration will be implemented in the future, but certainly not on 2021.” So while it would certainly be possible to do it anyway, it looks like Polini remains the best option for paramotor two-strokes in tractor installations.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I heard back from Vittorazi on the Cosmos 300, “I inform you that it has not been planned to have a tractor configuration. Perhaps this configuration will be implemented in the future, but certainly not on 2021.” So while it would certainly be possible to do it anyway, it looks like Polini remains the best option for paramotor two-strokes in tractor installations.
Why not toss their PSRU and isolate the engine in its own PSRU that is purposely designed to take the thrust loads in either direction. The PSRU could be supported by a cage around the engine or it could be attached to the airframe and the engine slides in place.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Umm, because at that point I may as well buy a Polini and be done with it. ;-) Seriously, Polini advertises their tractor mounting kit for the Thor 200 and 250 models so that's just an easier solution since the Polinis are a little more expensive but also a little more powerful than the Vittorazi line.

For absolute economy I'd still go with the least expensive, pull-start Vittorazi Moster 185 and just accept the pusher configuration.

Why not toss their PSRU and isolate the engine in its own PSRU that is purposely designed to take the thrust loads in either direction. The PSRU could be supported by a cage around the engine or it could be attached to the airframe and the engine slides in place.

poormansairforce

Do we actually know how to their bearings are setup? I've got a 100 hp wave runner that puts out 700 lb of thrust for hours on end and all that's in there is 2 cheap deep groove ball bearings to carry the thrust as well as the shaft itself.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Umm, because at that point I may as well buy a Polini and be done with it. ;-) Seriously, Polini advertises their tractor mounting kit for the Thor 200 and 250 models so that's just an easier solution since the Polinis are a little more expensive but also a little more powerful than the Vittorazi line.

For absolute economy I'd still go with the least expensive, pull-start Vittorazi Moster 185 and just accept the pusher configuration.
I have a Moster 190 on the zigolo and was looking at it and I am pretty sure I could design a cage for the engine with an isolated PSRU. Have you looked at the EOS 250... its now 236cc 4 Stroke and getting closer to release. Bit of a newer design than the Bailey v5. Im waiting patiently to add this to my zigolo... Luckily its on the back burner a bit so not chomping at the bit. Would also try and make a tractor config

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Is there any pricing available on that EOS four-stroke engine? I have yet to see any four-stroke paramotor engine affordable enough that I wouldn't just accept the weight and smaller prop of a basic VW conversion and design around that or stick to two-stroke if I needed to make Part 103 weight.