VHF antenna magic

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by PrzemekMac, Jun 10, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Tags:
  1. Jun 13, 2014 #21

PrzemekMac

PrzemekMac

PrzemekMac

Yee. This white plate is isolator and I hope it's not connected by rivets to copper plate. If not I should be able to remove copper and put new, aluminium, bigger plate.
    I made two pigtails to connect plate with pigtail and ground (by rivets).
    If I put new plate I try to connect antenna ground directly to plate (without pigtail) and I will have to make only pigtail for grounding plate with airframe.
    Maybe my old, solid state Beechcraft antenna will work then...

2. Jun 13, 2014 #22

PrzemekMac

PrzemekMac

PrzemekMac

Ok, Today I replaced this plate for bigger. SWR fall down to ~1:1,4 on solid antenna. Still better on higher frequency. My GP "rod" antenna have 1:1.
    Metal mesh not working as good ground... you always need big plate.

3. Aug 13, 2014 #23

PrzemekMac

PrzemekMac

PrzemekMac

Ok, it's not end of magic. I have good SWR 1:1,3 - 1:1,4 on solid antenna but the problem is i have very bad reception of portable stations on aerodrome. In another plane I can hear the same radio for a few kilometers, on my I have problem to understand when I'm downwind...
    I tried to replace cable, move antenna down (to the bottom of the fuselage with new big metal plate). Now I have two antennas - on top my "rod" antenna and on the bottom beech solid antenna and both work not so good as should.
    I tried to replace radio (I had SL40 now I have new SL30) - no effect.

Everyone can hear me very good, I can hear well base stations and another planes but handy on aerodrome don't.