Using Deutsch or Delco Connectors - Do they need Strain Relief?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by wsimpso1, Jun 17, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 17, 2019 #1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

I am working on my wiring, and I am an infant on this topic. I have resolved to use sealed connectors inside the stub wings to hook things up rather than run long wires after install of the wing outer panels or to use butt connectors on every wire - I have 14 wires, one BNC connector, two 3/8" fuel lines, and three 1/8" air lines all to connect while working through an inspection cover - I am using multi wire connectors here.

The Deutsch and Delco connectors that seal on the wires and then seal the joints do not have provision for strain relief of the wires leaving the connectors. I am so used to seeing strain relief on D-Sub connectors and the like, that I was expecting strain relief here.

Is it durable and sturdy using the connectors as is? The bundles are supported with Adel clamps on both ends of the junction area, the connectors will be staggered and clipped to mounting points. Are there other precautions that should be taken here?

Billski

2. Jun 17, 2019 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

When I was wiring fire trucks we didn't use strain reliefs on these types of connectors and had no warranty problems. Most of our connectors were also free floating rather than clipped down. The only time a UL test was failed for wiring was when something was missed during the shop floor inspections.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  3. Jun 17, 2019 #3

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

If you are talking about the car type connectors, I have rarely seen them with strain relief. The cables leaving them will (should) be anchored nearby which will provide the strain relief. As long as the wiring does not vibrate at the connector, you should be good. Make that happen however seems best.

Belt and braces:
    My truck recently broke down on the way to work. The quick fix was to plug the coil connector back in. My 'proper' fix when I got home was to zip tie the connector spring latch down... Over the years, it had lost its spring and ability to catch.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  4. Jun 17, 2019 #4

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

We've been using the Weatherpack connectors for 25 years in thousands of EFI systems. The properly fitting silicone grommet provides good strain relief. The grommets come in various sizes for different wire gauges. If you have an Adel further down the line to prevent major deflections, stuff should last a lifetime.

wsimpso1 and Hephaestus like this.
  5. Jun 17, 2019 #5

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

I got word back from the distributors that both are adequately strain relieved with their seals. That you experienced folks agree is extra confidence. Thanks guys!

Billski

akwrencher likes this.