• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Twisted in circles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Flynn

Ok, I'm still going back and forth on the right airplane for me to build. I've gone back and forth as missions change

First, an Airdrome Aeroplane to break the ice and get up more quickly and just be able to fly. Money is tight and even tighter this year. I have spent enough on medical this year to have bought one of the kits...sigh...Thank you "Affordable" Care Act....It's like 12k for a kit, add a VW engine, aluminium tubing and gusset construction for a WW-1 replica plane.

Then it was a Zenith 650 to just fly and not worry about when I get there. It's another simple plane and I like the aluminium construction with blind rivets. The sister to this is the Z-750 which was the One-Week Wonder at Oshkosh.

But really, I want to travel, to get places quickly. My heart says an RV-9a because I'm a nosedragger kind of guy and I like the idea of being able to fly from Raleigh to Disneyworld in a couple of hours.

What kind of tools are really needed for an RV build? I saw somewhere 2k for the tools, but when I took the list from the Vans website and started pricing it and I was over 2k without being 1/3 of the way down the list. So what is really needed?

So, I'm all twisted in circles. Where do I go?

Back