Turbine power for self launch and sustained flight.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Swampyankee

That would be neat but all the ones I've seen had centrifugal compressors. Can you do a bypass duct with a centrifugal compressor? On another note I've seen a little 7hp turboprop
Yes. Look at most of the small turbofans. I think everyone but Wiiliams designs there small fans around a turboshaft core, and most small turboshafts havecat least a centrifugal stage.

Swampyankee

There was a UK company displaying a TF engine they were developing at Oshkosh in 2004. The centrifugal engine without the geared fan was probably in the 40lb thrust range. They were talking 2-400 lb thrust with the fan. I tried to contact them without success a few month later for a follow up. I'm sure the gear box was the deal breaker or we'd see them all over the place. Reducing that kind of rpm to a 20" fans useable level with reliability would be a project worth doing but certainly not easy.
A turbofan with 400 lbf thrust from core producing 40 lbf of thrust seems awefully optimistic. As for the gearing, a fan from the turbofan is likely to have a tip speed of around 1200 to 1500 fps, so 14,000 to 18,000 rpm. At at guess, the compressor would be spinning at about 100,000 rpm. You could try an aft-fan. It worked, more or less, for GE.....

clanon

Last item is the airfoil change, the HP-18 has a FX-67 from the seventies, I am modifying the gemetry to the Udo 15.3 . This is a unique airfoil developed by Udo Rumph who has built two HP-18's . This airfoil has been proven by Udo and has an improved climb and cruise polar compared to the FX-67. Udo is known to be competitive in the 15 meter class while competing against some of the 150K glass ships.​

Chris[/LEFT]
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-18/SUPER_HP_18.html

PS: I would say : he seems to be "Ribletting the Worthmann"...