Tube and fabric Ramp Queen life ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
How long would you expect a ramp queen to be serviceable parked outside?
We’re talking a area that gets freezing temperatures 80° temperatures 50 days of rain at least that many days of a hard dew and perhaps as many as 100 days with snow on it?
Think ,Anchorage, Birchwood, Palmer, Wasilla, in Alaska

TFF

There is a thousand airplanes in Alaska that are outside every day for 30 years. They also have lots of people overhauling planes up there. Snow load would be my biggest worry. An inch or two is one thing, eight inches with ice is asking to be trouble. The owners who care clean off the planes. I would have an open shed if I had the choice.

rsrguy3

Agreed... ceconite polyfiber and the other dacron based systems will last a long, long time.... that however is not your main boogy man... light weight, flimsy piper ribs are your Achilles heal. Snow load flattens them as well as just about any load other than a flying load.

If you're rebuilding the wings, choose stamped or the Dakota ribs. They'll handle outdoor loads way better than the popcan piper ribs.

If I were going to leave my ragwing on the ramp I'd get those sweet heavy duty covers, they'd also be very helpful when it comes to removing snow and ice.

If I didn't have an indoor option for a ragwing bird it wouldn't stop me from owning one. I wouldn't hesitate to leave one out, I'd just address the weaknesses and keep it clean.

The op question, how long? A freshly covered airplane, with covers and the stronger ribs and religious cleaning of snow load.... easily 15 years.

rsrguy3

Then buy it accordingly, get it in annual and fly it like you stole it till you can't, then sell it to me for scrap....lol with or without fwf.

TFF

I don’t think planes swap hands very often up in Alaska. You are definitely not going to get a good deal up there either. Fly a plane from the lower 48 and they can smell the fresh meat.

Martti Mattila

Why these ramp queens excist despite Harold has lost hes medical twenty years ago and hes not getting younger either. It is because people need conversation pieces. Even the not so enhusiastic aviation wife might support to keeping it. Ladies Coffee catering someone askt from Emma is Harold still flying, does he still have his plane. Werent you just went airport last week askt Emma to Harold and Harold mumle something back. So the status quo of flying husband stays even its just not true. Trees are pushing true Champs wings and some of the ladies son tels hes mom that that plane is all cone but still this conversation coes on. We old people need light conversation pieces, life it self is too heavy.