• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!

My name is Justin Lemon. Tom Cassutt is my Grandfather. He was a self-taught autodidact Aeronautical Engineer, TWA Pilot, as well a midget pylon racing plane designer/builder/pilot.

I am currently going through his GIANT meticulously detailed archive of his personal Aviation Library of Books, files, documents, designs, historical articles, etc. b/c there is a WEALTH of relevant and extremely useful knowledge & information pertaining to Aeronautical Engineering, Airplane Design, Physics, amd Formula 1 Pylon Racing.

Because Tom was self-taught, he relied on available resources such as M.I.T. Grad-School level textbooks on Airplane Design & Aerodynamics, those which he started memorizing by the age of 11. So in the 1930's, he started consolidating the most useful Physics/Calculus/Math Formulas that are most relevant and effective towards airplane design and aerodynamics; Formulas he always found himself utilizing & referring to throughout his years as a premier airplane designer. These are formulas that I constantly see all throughout his personal files and archives. When I first came across copies of it in a different folder, I didn't understand the relevance & importance. Now after all the time researching and exploring his files, I understand exactly what it is. He used them as a KEY Quick Reference Guide to use during his time in the U.S
Army Air Corp. Cadet Training, his time as a World War 2 Air Transport Command Pilot "Flying the Hump" in the China-India-Burma Theatre, during his 25yrs as a Senior Pilot & Engineering Technical Advisor to TWA & Howard Hughes, and also during all his years designing, building, and racing midget pylon racing planes.

The following 6 pages are from Tom's personal aviation archives & were found grouped w/ his original Cassutt Special 111M Design Files from 1956.

Tom Cassutt's DEVELOPMENT of USEFUL PHYSICS FORMULAS (KEY QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE)
View attachment 125985
View attachment 125986
View attachment 125987
View attachment 125988
View attachment 125989
View attachment 125990

Attachments

• CASSUTT's DEVELOPMENT OF USEFUL FORMULAS1930s.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
Back