• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thoughts on buried engine plenum / boundary layer extraction / etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
My design has a few relevant characteristics:
  • A buried water-cooled turbocharged 180 hp engine, with coolant radiator, oil cooler, and intercooler in a remote cooling duct
  • A "firewall box" around the engine forming a plenum, similar to those Stemme uses with their buried Rotax engines (but including the sides)
  • An estimated boundary layer thickness at the cooling duct intake of ~1 cm
Even with the majority of the cooling load handled by the duct, I'm concerned about engine temp (particularly around the turbo and exhaust pipes) and would like to get some airflow through the plenum. This will of course cost drag, and estimating the amount of airflow needed here is another challenge...

One idea that occurred to me is to:
  • Have a boundary layer extractor inlet, a separately-routed section of the inlet comprising the 2 cm or so closest to the fuselage, rather than a boundary layer diverter or just ingesting the boundary layer into the cooling duct
  • Run the plenum at slight negative pressure to "suck in" the boundary layer through the extractor inlet
  • Achieve this negative pressure by having an appropriately sized exit (130% of extractor inlet area?) at a convenient negative pressure zone
  • If necessary, augment this negative pressure with a small exhaust fan
  • If desired, have the entrance from the extractor inlet into the plenum incorporate blast tubes to cool problematic points
In approximate scale, the boundary layer extractor inlet would be about 20% the size of the main duct inlet, subject to adjustment.

One non-obvious driver for this is that I have an existing ugly low pressure zone due to some geometry details that it would be nice to fill with some flow; basically taking advantage of a coincidence.

Thoughts about this approach? Is it a horrible idea? Will it fail to cool the engine, or will the drag be overwhelming? Ideas on how to size or adjust it?

Back