Quantcast

The VW diesels

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wilga12

Hi All

Does anyone have any information on some one using either of the two in-line 4 cyl water cooled diesels that VW puts in their "New Beetle" or the "Passat" in a plane, heli or even a swamp boat ??

I'm all ears, What you folks got ??

Thanks to all who can respond.................Dave

wilga12

The VW diesels

Thankyou so much Dustin, the information available at that site, and it's links is totally GREAT...........Well Done !!

Thanks to all who reply.........................Dave

DaveK

I've messed around with the VW diesels and gas for a long time and I don't think the normal cast iron block diesels will work out. The bare block weighs over 200 lbs and add to it the turbo, injector pump, electrical system, etc and you are talking only 1hp per 3lbs of engine, which isn't very good for an airplane. Then you have to add a redrive. Maybe in something like an Aircamper with big wings and just for fun.

Something to keep track of is Subaru is coming out with a turbodiesel in the next year or so (hopefully here, but probably Europe). It will be a boxer like thier other engines and from the little bit out there so far will be aluminum block, 2.0L, and common rail injected. That means it probably has about 120-150hp (I couldn't find any info on output, but the 1.9L VW can make 120hp) http://www.gizmag.com/go/6235/
Maybe would weigh more then a gas version, but if you could save 20% in fuel total mission weight might just come out the same.

Rom

The new vw 2.0 Liter diesel produces 236lb/ft @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. This translates to 108hp at 2,500. So far I haven't found out any information about weight. At the low rpm this could make a good conversion to a direct drive.

Dan Thomas

Maybe would weigh more then a gas version, but if you could save 20% in fuel total mission weight might just come out the same.
Diesel fuel weighs more than gasoline, too. Got to allow for that.

Dan

flyoz

Serge Pennec has designed and built many diesel planes . Check out the French site and follow the links - lots of good construction info - just use a translator ( babelfish etc )
http://gazaile@.nmr7.free.fr
First one is Dieselis which has done + 800hrs and now his Gazaile 2
Flyoz

Attachments

wilga12

Thanks very much for tossing that info on the pile,...Keith

It's really interesting just what can be achieved when some very capable folks put their heads together...

Now if we could just come up with a lil baby diesel (40 Horses) that would lend itself to the ultra-lite scene as did the Opel engine,... they were using for this piece...

Dave..

Latest posts