The UK is switching to 8.33khz channel spacing VHF radios,...is the USA????

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by nickjaxe, Aug 4, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1

nickjaxe

nickjaxe

nickjaxe

Hi guys....I am an ultralight pilot/owner here in the UK where most of us guys use Icom hand-helds VHF radios,

The only legal one we can use is the now quite old Icom A20...we have a very strict CAA who will only allow type approved VHF radios...and the A20 is the only approved hand-held...there are some type approved panel mount radios but these cost a bomb,

The A20 is a 25khz spacing radio and in there wisdom the Europeans are out-lawing 25khz in favour of 8.33khz, Just wondering if the USA is going down the 8.33 route...I somehow dont think it is...if its isn't we maybe able to ask for an exemption seeing that the biggest aircraft owning country in the world will still be using 25khz radios, I wonder if any of you guys could clarify for me.

Nick in the UK.

2. Aug 4, 2013 #2

Matt G.

Matt G.

Matt G.

This keeps coming up in the glider community; so far it doesn't look like the FAA is following the Europeans. I hope they don't- I recently bought a used 25kHz spacing Becker radio from Europe for my glider, as I didn't really want to spend $1500+ for a new TSO'd panel mount radio.

3. Aug 4, 2013 #3

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Given the range (I've talked to friends that were up to 300NM away), the 8.33 khz will soon be a necessity here (very complex airspace) and you won't get away with using a radio that'll disturb multiple channels. Don't know about the UK regulations, but if you cross the channel, flying with 25 khz is rewarded with a hefty penalty in only a few years, I think 2017. Resale value of a 25 khz radio will also be zip...

4. Oct 5, 2013 #4

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

So...every US airliner is going to need all new radios? Going to be real expensive.

5. Oct 5, 2013 #5

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Afaik, they've been using them for years; in class A it's been mandatory for a while now.

6. Oct 6, 2013 #6

fredoyster

fredoyster

fredoyster

8.33 is certainly in use here in the US although not on any ATC channels yet. If you want coordination for a flight test frequency, you'll have a much easier time getting an 8.33 kHz channel than a 25 kHz one.

7. Aug 22, 2014 #7

haiqu

haiqu

haiqu

I believe there will still be one or two 25kHz channels in the new standard, for use during the changeover period. I thought there were also 12.5kHz spacings for a while too??

8. Sep 4, 2014 #8

fredoyster

fredoyster

fredoyster

3 x 8.33 = 25

All of the 25 kHz channels remain, there are just two in between each one that can be used with good planning for coverage.