• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The UK is switching to 8.33khz channel spacing VHF radios,...is the USA????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjaxe

Hi guys....I am an ultralight pilot/owner here in the UK where most of us guys use Icom hand-helds VHF radios,

The only legal one we can use is the now quite old Icom A20...we have a very strict CAA who will only allow type approved VHF radios...and the A20 is the only approved hand-held...there are some type approved panel mount radios but these cost a bomb,

The A20 is a 25khz spacing radio and in there wisdom the Europeans are out-lawing 25khz in favour of 8.33khz, Just wondering if the USA is going down the 8.33 route...I somehow dont think it is...if its isn't we maybe able to ask for an exemption seeing that the biggest aircraft owning country in the world will still be using 25khz radios, I wonder if any of you guys could clarify for me.

Nick in the UK.

Back