The Best Laid Plans...

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Kyle Boatright, Oct 13, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 13, 2017 #1

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Today was supposed to be a big day. I was to receive a new car's worth of avionics. Since I couldn't be home to sign for the shipment, I asked the dealer to ship the box 'o extremely valuable electronics to the nearest Fedex Location, where I would be glad to pick the items up and sign for 'em. The idea was that I'd get 'em, unbox things tonight, take some critical measurements, and work on some panel (and behind the panel) layout issues while I'm out of town for the weekend.

That would have been great.

But the dealer shipped the items via UPS. Strangely, the folks at the FedEx store won't take delivery of an expensive package from UPS, sign for it, and hold it for me. :ermm:

2. Oct 13, 2017 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

Well yea. Living in a place where FedEx is the biggest employer and the UPS planes go out of the way to taxi in front of the FedEx hangers to put it nice, they hate each other.

3. Oct 13, 2017 #3

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I looked at it this way. UPS is responsible for delivering things into my hands. No way they are gonna hand the boxes to a third party with no proof that I'll ever get the items. And FedEx would be dumb to be responsible for a $$$ box from UPS, since FedEx didn't get paid to handle the package.

4. Oct 13, 2017 #4

TFF

TFF

TFF

When 727s were Fedex's mainstay, they developed the hush kit. UPS sold all of theirs so they did not have to buy kits from Fed. UPS had Apollo avionics to be able to control their own avionics and who got them. They ended selling out the the new Garmin company. I know FedEx has a us against them brain washing. UPS probably has the same. If it was in podunk, someone might have said ok at the trading post. I know Marietta is not podunk as I was born there. Today, it would be all over the TMZ with Kardashians taking selfies with the package. I can see them flying the CEO of UPS to hand deliver the package to the FedEx. All in good fun. Sucks you have to wait.

5. Oct 13, 2017 #5

tspear

tspear

tspear

I have seen the same with Coke and Pepsi...

Tim

6. Oct 17, 2017 #6

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Had a friend got poor service from one of them, (can't remember which one). He sent an overnight must be signed for letter to the president or head of customer service, (again can not remember) and had it delivered by the other one. Might be something you could do.

7. Oct 17, 2017 #7

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

The good (?) thing is I was on vacation on Friday, so had time to go by the UPS center and take delivery. Now I'm playing Tetris with the radio stack, trying to identify the best way to fit everything so it is functional from a man/machine systems perspective, but doesn't require me to chop up a ridiculous amount of airplane structure to make it fit. Hint to Garmin: The GTN 625 (and probably the rest of the series) is way too long/deep...

8. Oct 17, 2017 #8

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I feel your pain, must be tough waiting on 20K worth of air craft instruments....

My own pain, trying to find a single central instrument for my plane, an air speed indicator that will read low enough in the range my plane flies... from 5 to 50 knots... not 50 to 500 !@#$%

I thought I'd found one, but how can you ever know, they drop a bloody zero on most every air speed indicator (like they drop a zero on painted runway compass heading numbers, making all of those wrong too) and every single airspeed indicator out there is therefore labeled with bogus incorrect markings... :-/

My heart really does bleed for rich people, really it does... it kills me to know you have to suffer with no hope or help in sight. I think it's whats been keeping me up at night, worrying about how I can help the rich people out there with their world of s*** problems.

Tell you what, lets trade places for a while... I'll wait on your 20K worth of instruments, and you can hunt for a black face analog airspeed indicator that measures in the range I need.

Hunt all over the net for a gauge that literally has .5 to 5 on it for airspeed readings... maybe that really means, 5 knots to 50 knots, in dumb aircraft logic... preferably under $30, and that looks retro old school, not like a hacked up digital handheld aerometer from China

I'll wait around and sign for your package. There better be some Hot Pockets in your fridge...

!@#$%^ FedEx? Who can afford FedEx? 1%ers?

Maybe if I attached a Pinwheel to an RPM gauge, and held the pinwheel out the side of the plane, that would do it for me... but then I'd make my plane turn in that direction....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  9. Oct 17, 2017 #9

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

10. Oct 17, 2017 #10

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Now you are just getting too picky. ;) :gig: Who cares about color?

Besides if you are still set on the 'no dual' part of your mission the only person that even cares if you have an airspeed indicator is you ..... and you could probably do just as well, or even better with a home made AOA.

11. Oct 17, 2017 #11

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

The Hall is the choice. That, a non-precision altimeter. ( just for bragging rights and to avoid ACT zones ) & best of all a vario, since rate is more important than quantity, that you can see. The planet is right there. All three of those you take in the house and put on the shelf in controlled conditions. Like your bedroom, to give incentive to fly. Tach, EGT, CHT, the engine bits wired to the airframe, those are the ones that live on your plane.