Tandem rotor gyroplane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Kev C

Ahhh, pusher, yes. I plan to do the same mostly for CG reasons. Also because I want prop-wash on the rudder to help steering during take-off roll.
I plan to use an auxillary air cooled snomobile motor with the self-adjusting variable speed pulleys they have coupled to the interconnecting rotor-shafts with overriding clutch built in for pre-rotating and hopefully continuing into partial power to the rotor system inflight. Another good reason for two rotors since there won't be any torque trying to spin the airframe in circles.

joe nelson

Kev,

I have thought about partial power but I will need to research it a little before I committing to using it. My thoughts were using a adjustable pitch prop so I can de-pitch during spin-ups. I understand that is the biggest complaint by gyro drivers. When they spin-up and get lighter on the wheels the brakes can't hold the gyro in place. The gyro starts to skid especially on grass when the prop/engine are at full power for spin-up.

The idea of de-pitching the prop isn't new and has been around since the beginning. Gyros like the CarterCopter and the AS18 have used this system for jump take offs. They can divert all the engine HP to the spin-up of the de-pitched rotor and prop. Push a button and the rotor/prop are given the appropriate pitch for the jump.

Kev C

Joe,
Yes, An adj pitch prop would be nice if I could take power from one eng. My plan is to set up the aux motor before even putting prop eng on, and test the rotor system by kiting the ship before I go near a runway.

joe nelson

June update. I've found some angle to be used the spine of the next model. The 4x4 angle will be used to mount bearings, gearboxes and drive shaft on the horizontal plane to the fuselage.

The project is moving slowly due to a grandkid project that has occupied my workshop.

davh12

Abingdon, IL USA.................military moves ev
hey Joe,
I noticed that your thread vanished on the other forum. Keep at it. I'm holding off until I get back to the states. I just do not have the materials that I need or the tooling here in Korea. 3 months to go. Headed to Ft. Hood. Operational Test Command.

joe nelson

Dave,

Don't worry! I've been working on building my grandkid's jeep and haven't had much time to post. You know what it's like when you put in a bolt and the 4 year old takes it out faster than you put it in...look Paw Paw :), lol.

Sounds like your next post might be very cool!:ban:

joe nelson

I enjoy doing projects with the grandkids. They are wonderful to watch when they discover something new. Yesterday, we were working on the jeep's windshield and my oldest grandson discovered what the wooden blocks were for on the hood. He couldn't wait to tell his dad...LOL. It's amazing how much they're excited by simplest things.

Unfortunately, I can't let them work on my gyro project because it's too much like a toy to them' They just want to play with the models rather than learn anything.

On a technical note, what do you think about using a UHMW plastic tube for a linear bearing?

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Hahaha, thats how its supposed to be.

“Possessions, outward success, publicity, luxury - to me these have always been contemptible. I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best for both the body and the mind.”

“Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

joe nelson

With the number of bearing needed in a tandem an alternative to save weight is a good idea. If I can save 20 pounds by using the UHMW plastic instead bearings and reduce the number of moving parts would be worth any effort to do it. I have heard and read that bearing failure is a leading cause of mechanical troubles in gyros. If I can successful replace the all the shaft bearings, collective follower and swash plate components with solid UHMW plastic it may reduce the possibility of component failure.

joe nelson

Dave,
They are indeed for p/p rods and the collective follower. The bearings may also be used for the drive train between the two rotors.

My shop is clear of the jeep project and is now in the garage. More glorious space to work on the tandem!

joe nelson

I'm now back to work on my gyro building after finishing the year-long mini jeep project. Well, I was going to insert some pictures here but it doesn't seem to working for me at the moment. The moral of the story is never let your wife and daughter dictate the design requirements for the grandkids' pedal car.Since my last post, I have purchased a milling machine with tools to make some parts specific to the gyro. Also, I've discovered the process of "lost foam casting" for part manufacturing which I think is super cool. I find that it is much easier to make patterns from styrofoam than wood or plaster.

Attachments

joe nelson

Just a quick update. I'm now working on lost foam molds for parts that I can't find anywhere else. Pouring aluminum is new to me so I'm going slow.

Blue Chips

Just found your post Joe, not sure How it was overlooked.
You had spent a great deal of time on it and am glad to see that you are still on it when post went silent with the Feb 2014 post.

What parts are you casting?

Ken

joe nelson

It is a follower for collective. I have incorporated the swash plate mount and the follower into one part. It rides along the mast on HMWP bearings in an attempt to keep things cheap and simple.

The reason for not posting is when you change the scale you have to start over completely. There is also a big difference going from a small wooden model to one 4x bigger with a lot of metal parts. This is the second pour for the follower because I screwed the first one up on the lathe.

If you want a laugh just watch a fat boy spill aluminum when you miss the pour...lol. I'm new at casting and there is a large amount of trial and error that causes slow going. I've googled different techniques and the lost foam method seems the easiest. I will probably need to improve my equipment and tools from casting in number ten cans to something else. :)

Last edited:

Blue Chips

I understand the delay, full scale takes a lot of time when there are plans it would be much more time consuming from scratch.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I you need some machining done I likely can help, just ask.