• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tail wheel for original cast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopndrag

I have the original cast tail wheel assembly and was going to build my own but work and getting my plane ready to be re painted before races is getting in the way. So I was wondering if anyone knows the actual tail wheel used or a good idea of ok be that doesn't sound like a rattling mess when I taxi. Right now I have one from McMaster car and it pretty much looks like a roller blade wheel. Not a fan of it.

Center of the universe syndrome?
;-)
*You* know exactly what a/c and TW you're talking about. That doesn't by any stretch mean *we* know. Oh, wait; is this something about Broadway? Or a movie?

Sorry; apparently it must be *me* thinking OotU. ;-)
Your post shows up in the 'new posts' group, and I didn't think to look at what sub-forum it was in. duh...

Last edited:
The 4" "Home Builder Special" tailwheel for the 3/8" axle bolt (4 X 1.5 X 3/8) on Aircraft Spruce is the correct tailwheel for the cast TW assembly.

You need a common AN Bolt and a washer stack up to snug the axle and fork just enough that the wheel turns on the axle (and not the bolt) without side loading the forks.

I think I still might have one of the "cast" aluminum POSs that Great Plains sold. When I got it in the mail, instead of the welded steel TW assembly that John Monnet originally intended, I refused to install it. I went with an off-the-shelf API TW assembly that I had to shorten and turn down quite a bit in order to make it work. But, its a much nicer solution that what Great Plains is selling.

Last edited:
The cast one came on my plane. The tail wheel fork is barely 1.5 inches so can't use that. I have one close to that size I think 1.25 and won't fit

If it’s for a race plane, a thick sheet of phenolic linen, a hole saw, a ream, and a very thin oilite bronze bushing epoxied into it with a drop of light grease on the axle bolt, and replace often?

I have one that came with my plane uninstalled that I might use. It's a nice tail wheel but a little to thick. I measured my spacing at the point where the forks are at the spring and it's only 1.25 I'm just going to mill out . 03 on each side to give me space to use a 1.25 today I took my wheel off and tried the 1.25 I have and it wouldn't even go in. It's machine time so I can use the wheel I have. Once I get time I'm going to weld up a new tail wheel assembly that will use the Expiramental tail wheel spruce sells so no more guess work.

Back