• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai I / VW 2300

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henka

On GP Site=
The Sonerai I will accept engine displacements from 1600cc through 2180cc.

2300 is a no go?
Is it CG issue? Fuse structure?

Thanks.

I think a 2332cc would be just fine up front, Jeff's turbo monster doesn't seem to be separating itself from the fuselage so this is little to no concern.
Just keep in mind that stroker motor will push your completion timeline back a bit as it will require a few more hours of research and building time than a standard 'out of the box' GP engine, these add-ons push the finish date back when you could have been flying!

Hi Guys
the weight difference between a 2180 and a 2276 is minimal in fact my 2276 with nikasil barrels was even lighter than a 2180...

the S1 I recently bought is equipped with a 2276 and the CG problem I have is a very tail heavy issue...

the total weight is as of now 558#
.as the tubes were recently measured with ultrasonic process and found to be as per the plans for those that were measureable,most probably the tail heavy issue is due to the excessive paint and preparation of the fabric on the fuselage and the tail section.
moving the engine 3 inch or so to the front should take care of this issue,or re-skinning the complete fabric on the plane ...don't know yet, still thinking

Gaston

Gaston,
If you plan on a recover, look into a fabric covering system called ORATEX.
I picked up a sample at Oshkosh and used it to cover the landing gear on my aircraft.
Finished the job in two hours on my kitchen table(glue needs to set for 24Hrs before shrinking fabric).
Claims to be 25-35% lighter than legacy fabric(Stits). no doping,sanding,painting or toxic chemicals.
Super Cub site has a good blog and many videos on utube.
Roland

Thank you Roland

I'll have a look into this,when time will come...

Gaston said:
Hi Guys
the weight difference between a 2180 and a 2276 is minimal in fact my 2276 with nikasil barrels was even lighter than a 2180...

the S1 I recently bought is equipped with a 2276 and the CG problem I have is a very tail heavy issue...

the total weight is as of now 558#
.as the tubes were recently measured with ultrasonic process and found to be as per the plans for those that were measureable,most probably the tail heavy issue is due to the excessive paint and preparation of the fabric on the fuselage and the tail section.
moving the engine 3 inch or so to the front should take care of this issue,or re-skinning the complete fabric on the plane ...don't know yet, still thinking

Gaston

:)
-Pete

Gaston,

Could you post your w&b data? Just curious.

As far as the concern with lots of power on the front of an SI goes, I do have concerns. These concerns were part of the decision to finish the planned airframe mods which include beefing up the front of the plane. However, I don't know if a 2300 would push the limits or not. I expect the 2332 I have to put out about 115 hp at 4k rpms.

Thank you for the replies. Seems that in France I have to strictly follow the plans or recommendations. If not, then I have to prove my mod is ok. I am not aircraft engineer so I don't think I could ever demonstrate the aircraft would be fine with the higher output.

Then I was thinking if the limitation is on the horsepower only, I could limit to say 80hp, and run with lower rpm with the 2300 engine.

Instead of higher hp at higher rpm, my thinking has been to do with the same power but lower rpm to give better prop efficiency and thus better performance.

Does it make sense? Am I on the wrong track?

Thanks!

Not an expert by any means, so I probably should'nt even comment, but here are my thoughts. 2276 looks just like 2180, could say your 2276 is a 2180.

2276 80 hp 2180 75 hp both motors achieve their respective horsepower at the same rpm, I dont think it would be good to overprop a VW engine to achieve lower rpm. VW engine is happy all day at 3400 rpm.

Hang the 2276 ahem I mean 2180 and let her rip! ;)

Tim

the only way to tell the difference between the 2180 and the 2276 is to remove a head and measure the bore.
otherwise the are the same all around...
they share the crank and force one hub, the case, and heads.

keep the VW revving high and the VW will kepp you happy

gaston

Back