• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Some Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leadfootflyer

Hello everyone I am about to begin the adventure of a lifetime, and I need to be pointed in the right direction. As much as some of us beginners would like to build an aircraft, and start flying well I know this just wont be able to happen... legally anyways, I know I need some sort of certification to be able to fly ultralights or any other experimental aircraft so my first question is what do I need to do to get my certification? Do I need to become fully fledged private pilot? Or just become certified in flying ultralights or experimental aircraft? My next question is what are some of your thoughts on the affordaplane? This like its name this will be the only aircraft I can afford to build, and I like the simplicity of the design. I know this is not something that just anyone can do this type of build requires precision, because this will be a machine that I am entrusting my life to. I have experience with carpentry and other building skills, I also can work on cars and some of you might be asking yourselves what do auto mechanics have to do with airplanes? Well, I intend to power my bird with an old VW bug engine that I am going to be converting. I know this type of thing is old news, but again its the only power-plant I will be able to afford, and I like the idea. A major plus to this I can use regular old gasoline, instead of having to buy jet a for a lycomings engine or something similar. Any help with these questions would be great, I'm sure I'll have more later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back