• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Small tail sizing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
I'm working on my spreadsheet and just need something clarified about how to size the vertical tail; Raymer says to multiply the vertical tail coefficient (Cvt) by the sum of the wing's full span (b) and the wing's area (S), all over the distance from the 25% of the wing's MAC to the tail's 25% MAC. (Lvt)

Since I'm doing a tri surface, am I right in using that same equation, but making Lvt the distance from the aircraft's CG to the 25% of the Vertical Tail? Since the wing will be all over the place in a CG, and this equation seems geared mostly only for traditional configs where the CG is usually on or near the 25% of the main wing, I figured that the equation was just simplifying the wording somewhat and that it's really supposed to be to the CG. Can anyone help?

If this is wrong, how should I go about calculating tail size, independent of what configuration I'm doing (i.e. what's an equation that'll work with both a traditional and a tri surface?).

Back