Shipping large Items

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Jman, May 9, 2005.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 9, 2005 #1

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

My purpose is off topic but it could apply to shipping heavy aircraft parts.

What is the absolute cheapest way to ship two crates 8 x 3.5 x 3.5 that weigh 500 lbs each? I've looked at a couple of the major shipping companies and the cheapest quote was $860 from shipping point to the carrier’s hub about 1 hour away from the destination.

There is a very diverse group of folks here so I figured maybe someone has some experience in this area. Thanks!

Jake

P.s. :rolleyes: If you must know, the crates contain two older Arctic Cat snowmobiles my Step Father has offered to give me. :D

2. May 9, 2005 #2

George Sychrovsky

George Sychrovsky

George Sychrovsky

Banned

the shipping charges are incredible rip off if you try to ship as an individual, you need to find a friend who has a business account with a tracking company and it will cost a lot less.

3. May 9, 2005 #3

CNCRouterman

CNCRouterman

CNCRouterman

Shipping stuff.

I recently found a shipping broker called Unishippers. Their contact number is 800 607 4350. I will be using them to ship some product to a customer in Chicago.

Here are a few tips I learned from talking to them.

High density equals more cost effective per pound. Shipping to/from a residential area boots the cost up noticably. Forklift-able palletizing is important.

Conclusions: Pack as much into as small an area as possible on forklift friendly skids from and to commercial sites with dock-truck loading docks.

For me, all that is standard on my end, but on occasion a customer may not have a forklift, or may ask delivery into a non-commercial area.

I wouldn't mind you mentioning that Eric at CNC RouterWorks in Minneapolis gave you their number if you choose to check them out.

4. May 9, 2005 #4

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

Jake

5. May 10, 2005 #5

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Jake,

You guys in the US don't know you're alive when it comes to shipping costs!

I recently purchased 2 turnbuckle fork ends from Aircraft Spruce for about 6 bucks each which finally cost me AUS$65 (about US$51) after they packed them in the largest padded envelope possible and sent it via DHL.

Spruce refuse to use the Global Mail postal service which goes anywhere on the planet very cheaply, as it's easier for them to just call the courier company and pass the extortional charges on to the customer.

Interestingly, when they had to send me (at their cost) a replacement for a faulty bearing, guess how they sent it !!

Rob

Chlomo likes this.
  6. May 11, 2005 #6

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

:eek: That is outrageous! Maybe I should start a business taking cheap shipments from AS & S and ship them out via global mail.

You would think someone in Australia would be importing these types of products.

7. May 12, 2005 #7

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Jake,

I might just take you up on that !

There was an agent in Melbourne (opposite side of the country to me) who was consolidating orders and importing container loads however it appears it didn't work as ACS have canned it (and also the agent!).

The following is an extract from their website.

"To our customers in Australia
    Effective December 1, 2004 we ask that you place your orders direct with Aircraft Spruce West in Corona, California as we will no longer be offering the container shipments from Los Angeles to Melbourne. To more efficiently serve our Australian customers, we will handle orders direct rather than going through an Australian agent.

Our thanks to Lloyd Shepherd, Terry Adair and Terry Keating for their work on our behalf as Aircraft Spruce Australia. We will be offering shipments of orders to Australia via surface parcel post ( orders under $250.00), air parcel post, DHL, UPS and Federal Express. We look forward to continuing to serve your aircraft parts requirements.

Place orders w/Aircraft Spruce West via:
    Online: www.aircraftspruce.com
    Fax: (951) 372-0555
    Phone: (951) 372-9555 "

I've yet to see the surface parcel post option they mention - everything I've received has come via the (very expensive) DHL system.

Rob

8. May 13, 2005 #8

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

I bought an 18 foot car hauler trailer just to avoid such shipping costs and I regularly offer it's use to others. Jman, if you were closer to Dayton, OH, you would be more than welcome to borrow it.