• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

RV 7 versus 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prestwich

Hello. Even though I'm about $65k short of the $50k or so I expect it will cost, I'm thinking I'll begin building an RV by buying some tools and a tail kit. Maybe by the time I finish the tail, I'll be able to afford a wing. I haven't had an opportunity to fly one yet but I did see several planes and met some builders not too far from where I live.

I thought I'd go with the 7A, but my brother in law is encouraging me to look more closely at the 9A. I like the idea that the 9 is a less demanding airplane to fly as well as being more economical to operate. The modest speed penalty isn't of much concern to me. I like the idea of taking my hand off the stick while I make a ham sandwich and fiddle with the radio, and having the **** thing maintain some semblance of heading and attitude. Is the 7 really a "fly it every second" machine?

But, I was hoping to be able to throw in some gentleman's aerobatics to spice things up from time to time. We're not talking snap rolls, here. And I see the 9 wing isn't G-rated. What's the deal with that? Does that mean the plane will come apart on me if I exceed sixty degrees of bank while maintaining altitude? They must have done SOME loading tests, didn't they?

Back