• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotation Speed - Sailplanes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm getting into the home-stretch on the stability and control calculations on my project, and I suddenly find myself without a design standard for a certain flight mode.

My project is an unpowered sailplane, and has a conventional (for sailplanes) landing gear consisting of a single main wheel somewhat aft of the CG, with a skid forward and extending towards the nose. The initial phase of the (aero-tow) takeoff happens with both the skid and wheel in contact with the runway, and before liftoff the airplane rotates back onto the main wheel only, much as a tri-gear aircraft would do.

The FAA adopted JAR-22 as the certification standard for sailplanes back in 1993, and I've been using that document for various design criteria on my project. However, I can't find any reference in there for a rotation speed criteria. I know it's 0.8*Vs0 in powered airplanes, but is this an appropriate rotation speed for sailplanes, which generally takeoff and land well above Vs0?

Back