Quick References for the homebuilder

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Winginit

Moderator Note: Posts have a 48h expiration on editability, and Winginit has asked me to insert the following text for him, as an aid to anyone reviewing this thread:

Thanks to Choppergirl a High Resolution version of most of the Reference Attachments is
now available. Just Scroll down to post #20 for a link to the High Resolution charts. Also
Ron Wanttaja has graciously made his Shop Sheets information available at
[url]http://www.wanttaja.com/shopsheets/index.html[/URL] Thanks to both of them. Winginit
End Note

----------------------------

I am going to post some references that should be useful to homebuilders. You can print them and put them on your wall or save them in your computer. A company named MSC sells all this stuff and furnishes them in a free catalog. Not sure if the printed version is still available but if it is, get one for your shop. I have ordered from them many times in the past and always had quick and great service. They aren't paying me. I'm just posting this to help builders and hopefully generate them some additional business because they go to the trouble to provide this info.

https://www.mscdirect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/customer-service/information

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
While I laud your intentions and effort, the HBA server is downsampling these to a smaller size, which is what it's set up to do. The smaller type is pretty much illegible.

You'd do better to scan them to PDF and put them up in a folder on Dropbox (or Box, Drive, OneDrive, etc.), and put a public link to that folder in your post here.

lr27

I can read it accurately enough, but they're fuzzy enough that I don't want to. I have found Pocket Ref and Machinery's Handbook handy for mechanical design work. The former, at least, is inexpensive. Also, McMaster Carr has drawings on line for many of their parts, which may be helpful.

I don't recall the name or where to get one, but there used to be one of those paper/plastic sliding doohickies which, if you picked a thread size, would give you all sorts of numbers, including things like what size hole to use for tapping, dimensions of nuts and washers, etc.

Winginit

I can read it accurately enough, but they're fuzzy enough that I don't want to.
Yes, most of the ones with small print are hard to read. My suggestion is that anyone who wants to save them on their computer, go to https://www.mscdirect.com/FlyerView?contentPath=/sales-catalogs/big-book .They can go to each section of the catalog and look at the first few pages and find most of the charts I posted. A few may take a little searching to find. Then they can print them or save them as they wish. At any rate, if you are a tool junkie like me, or a novice trying to understand different drill points or tap types, then do a little perusing of the virtual catalog and learn a few things.;)

Winginit

If you shoot the better resolution versions to me via email attachments, I will dump them on my webserver, and then you can post links to those or that directory here.

Is there an online form to order the print version of the MSC big book catalog?

I was looking earlier today and couldn't find it.
Like I said, I have an older catalog so I haven't kept up with the availability of the print version. It is such a large book that it has to be expensive to publish, so they may do online only now. Its much easier to flip thru a book when you are just looking for nothing in particular. I would give them a call and see if you can get one. It would be invaluable to anyone who doesn't have direct experience with tools and tooling. By that, I mean someone who has worked in a trade for a living. Things like drill types and materials are explained, where to most people a drill is just a drill. Knowing and seeing whats available for many different types of tools helps a lot.

The copies I have were scanned a long time ago when home scanners were not as good as todays units. I opened some of the fuzzy small print ones and as I enlarge them on my computer they become clear. If you will send me a private email with an email address other than your private HBA, I will forward the references directly to you.:)

choppergirl

Banned
Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
Wingint took the time to make high resolution scans of all his MSC Chart HBA uploads above... and emailed them to me to host on my webserver.. so no more fuzzy reading.

You can find them all and several more here:

http://build.air-war.org/MSC Big Book Catalog - Charts/

You can click on them directly to display in your webbrowser, or right click on each file link and chose "Save as..." to save on your own computer, and open later in an image viewer.

If anybody needs to put some big files on the web (reference or otherwise) that would be useful to all, just email them to me (choppergirl@air-war.org), and I'll find a place for them and shoot you back a URL to it.

Last edited: