• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Questions on "Simplified Wing Stress Analysis of A Strut Braced Monoplane"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been lurking here for a while, and learning, slowly...
I am not an engineer, but I have built a number of airplanes. I have had volunteer help from a couple of engineers on some of my designs that they liked, but they, understandably are busy, and the more I learn,(by osmosis?) the more new design investigation I want to do. I need to learn more!
I found a paper that EAA published in the 60's " Simplified Wing Stress Analysis of a Strut Braced Monoplane" .
Here s a link to it.

http://www.westcoastpiet.com/images/Construction/Simplified Wing Stress Analysis.pdf

I know it's elementary compared to many of the works I have seen on this site, but I assume it's a good start for me, at least it seems to be making some sense to me.
It is for the "Baby Ace" and that's close enough to one design I'm working on that I think I can substitute numbers and get reasonable results.
I have searched this site and haven't found a discussion of it yet. As in many papers like this, there are some mistakes, I have recalculated some equations and corrected them, I think.
More Frustrating is that the source of some of the numbers is left out, probably because they were obvious to the author.
The paper is 8 pages, as I work through it I am creating a spread sheet, that helps me visualize the flow or sequence, and I hope when done I can play with adjustments to the design.
I have worked through the first 3 pages, and have a couple of questions, if anyone is familiar with this.

On page 1, they list "Ratio of Chord to Beam Components" PHAA -.30, PLAA +.15, NLAA 0," I couldn't find where these numbers came from, and i'm not sure if they will be needed? I didn't notice a reference to them later in the paper?

On page 3, table 4, Strut V, H, D, ? I assume L is strut length.
Is V the angle between strut and spar?
H?
D?
Thank You for any explanations.

Back