Pre-Flight Checklists "Our Way!!!"

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Wayne, Aug 19, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 19, 2017 #1

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

We have hundreds and hundreds of years of combined experience on the forum across a wide variety of airplanes. I know you guys use mnemonics or printouts for your checklists.

I'll shutdown with SLIME - Switches to off, LEAN engine until off, Ignition switch off, Master switches off, Exit the plane

Or how about I spin into another - PARE - Power reduced, Ailerons Level, Rudder opposite to spin, Elevator to gently break the dive

I'd be REALLY interested in cross country VFR Checklists and weather prediction/foresting so that I can start feeling more confidant to make the trip to Mackinac Island.

What say you guys? Show us your best!

Wayne

2. Aug 19, 2017 #2

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Hrm. For Dad's RV-6, my takeoff check is a flow starting at the top of the canopy.

- Canopy locked
    - Radio set
    - Boost pump on
    - Strobe on
    - Everything forward
    - Fuel set
    - Flaps up
    - Control check

After takeoff

- Boost pump off
    - Set engine as required

Before landing

- Everything forward
    - Boost pump on

3. Aug 19, 2017 #3

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Modify the classic checklist to suit yourself......(prestart): Trim, Throttle, Mixture, Mags, Master, Pitch (propellor), Pump, Primer, Flaps, Fuel, Flight Controls (often written as F3), Ignition, Instruments, Carb heat, Hatches, Harnesses, Transponder, Timer......use the mnemonic; Too Many Pilots Forget Important Checks Today.

4. Aug 19, 2017 #4

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Cross country check list: FREDAC......Fuel on and sufficient and adjust PLOG as required; radio....set to whatever ATC unit is handling you and with your destination or handling airport on box 2/comms 2; Engine...check Ts and Ps and adjust as required; DI...check alignment with wet compass, mentally check that you are going in the right direction; Altitude...are you at the right altitude for the region you are in with regard to QNH, military airspace, Class C or b airspace and so on; carb heat...check it, in case of insidious icing......also, if you have pax on board, check them. harnesses on or off? if at high altitude, do they need oxygen? do they need water or food or a pee stop? are they cold or hot?

5. Aug 19, 2017 #5

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

This is a step to the future of checklists. There is another thread here on it. I use it and it helps with 'missing' items. There is a free version and the ability to try out the Pro (talking/response) version. The author is a Cessna pilot with IFR rating. Support has been excellent.

www.miracheck.com

Best,

Tom