Quantcast

Pitot tube on wing vs. fuselage

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Peterson

So let's say your plane has a removable wing for moving by trailer. The wing attaches with 4 bolts and takes 2-3 guys roughly an hour to set into position, connect the control cables, and get everything tightened down properly.

Would it be better to have the pitot tube on the wing with a quick disconnect line to the avionics, or could the pitot tube be mounted on the fuselage near the static port to make less connections to have to mess with when installing/removing the wing?

I could see a fuselage mounted pitot tube possibly reading prop blast and causing incorrect instrument readings, but not too sure if it matters or makes that much of a difference.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The Thorp T-18 design used a pitot tube that extended vertically from the top front of the vertical stabilizer, but most builders have moved it to the wing. I don't know it that was to eliminate an accuracy problem, or if it was for aesthetics.

BJC

TFF

What is two more connections in that mess? What are you doing, taking the wings off a C150? The pitot cant be near the propwash that is really the only rule. Pusher; in the nose is ok.

Rockiedog2

I've trailered an UL a lot with a wing mounted pitot. The pitot tube is an AL quarter line in the wing that stops at the wing root. From there it's a hardware store quarter ID vinyl line that just slips on/off the al line. Easy. The pitot tube inself extends forward from the LE of the wing about 8". It's removable same way the inside line is. Just a short length of rubber tube over the wing tube that the pitot slips in/out of. If not removable the pitot is apt to get damaged moving the wing around.