Piper Cub Airframe Drawings/Plans ????

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

flywheel1935

Just a thought, but are Piper Cub Airframe Drawings/Plans available from any source, I mean to 'original' J3 ,L4 spec etc, so one could build an airframe
then build up an aircraft with off the shelf parts from Univair/Wag Aero/ Spruce, Just putting it out there.

BJC

HBA Supporter
You might need to revert to the original in a few areas.

BJC

TFF

A friend has a copy of Piper drawings. Wag is much easier to read as the factory are copy of copy of copy of blue print.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Didn't Piper just buy a Super Cub and copy when Stuart Millar wanted start production? My point is they didn't go by their old prints either. Wag Aero would be a better bet since they have been de-bugged from over 30 years of sales.

flywheel1935

Thanks for the feedback, its early days for my next project, after the LMA is finished, I'm leaning towards the Wag Aero plans, but maybe with a Rotax ???
I'll run it past my LAA, (your EAA), but it's an interesting exercise. The alternate is a UK sourced Resto project.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I wasn’t suggesting a purchase, just a reference for installing a Rotax in a Cub clone.

BJC

Chilton

The reason for lack of Rotax fitted cubs may be that it vibrates at the natural frequency of the airframe, I once flew a PA 15 with a Rotax 912, and the aircraft buzzed to the engine firing frequency, apparently the fuselage rapidly cracked at many of the welded joints, not sure if the J3 would be the same but it may discourage the idea.

Reactions: BJC

flywheel1935

The reason for lack of Rotax fitted cubs may be that it vibrates at the natural frequency of the airframe, I once flew a PA 15 with a Rotax 912, and the aircraft buzzed to the engine firing frequency, apparently the fuselage rapidly cracked at many of the welded joints, not sure if the J3 would be the same but it may discourage the idea.
point noted, thanks,
and on another thought, who actually owns the "Cub" Trademark/IPR , there are so many companies building them all calling the Cubs

Last edited: