• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Pic or guidance for SII stabilizer spar attach…??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcstrng

I’ve been scouring the gallery and so far have not found someone’s close-up of what the stabilizer spar attachment looks like…

Maybe I’m making this too hard… it appears to me the stab-spar is simply welded under the top longerons (which are subsequently cut away) and supported on top by two 3/8ths tubing supports into the rudder post, and then below similarly (tied directly to the underside of the stab spar down to the lower longeron/rudder-post junction) as well as the 1/2” tubing that runs more or less from the same longeron/stab-spar junction to the junction of the lower longeron and the vertical…

I feel like I’m missing something – is that it? Guess I’m looking for some sort of bracketry that locally ties the stab spar to the top longerons beyond welding where the tubes cross more or less at 90-degrees…

If someone could point me to a close-up I’d appreciate it (or correct my presumptions above)

Thanks…

Larry: There are no additional brackets. The horizontal stabilizer spar is welded to the underside of the top longerons, and then, all the 3/8" and 1/2" diagonals get added. When you're done, you remove the aft portion of the top longerons to provide clearance for the elevator. Be sure that there is a 12" long piece 7/8" x .065" wall tubing inserted and centered in the 1" x .058" wall spar tubing before beginning the welding of the spar to the longerons. The process of welding to the longerons will lock the inner tube in place.

Thanks Fred -- yes, the inner-tube is in place...

I was just being a worry-wart I guess, but I tacked on the rudder three times (and cut it off) before I felt like I had it correct (and vertical), so didn't want to go through that again... ;D

Appreciate the quick response...

Back