Paint a two tone on a composite

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by pequeajim, Jul 3, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 3, 2007 #1

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

I want to paint a two color scheme on my composite aircraft.

My question is do people paint the wholle aircraft white and then paint the bottom half the darker color, or do they paint the whit etop part, and then mask it off and paint the bottom?

2. Jul 4, 2007 #2

windair

windair

windair

It can be done either way. The benefit to painting the whole aircraft white first, is that this will guarantee that the color coat over top will be a uniform shade. Colors are move brilliant over white. For these reasons some custom car/ bike painters shoot a coat of white over the primer before they paint the finish color.

The benefit to only painting the top of plane is that you will save paint and weight. When I painted my 182 and Rotorway I only painted the top half and feathered the white down into the belly area. I used a light epoxy primer so the color variation was not an issue where the color coat transitioned from covering white to primer.

3. Jul 5, 2007 #3

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

You should also consider using a 'decal' similar to pinstriping on the transition point. That way you don't have to get the border between color and white to be exact, which can be very difficult to do sometimes.