Quantcast

P-51 Mustang Replica Tehnical Question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TXFlyGuy

Murdo is a good friend,I see him quit a lot, most every time I’m down at my hanger , 2or 3 times a week.He has the molds for the full scale Mustang , the wing mold is a H model Mustang. He has his hanger up for sale, I really don’t think he is going anywhere? If his hanger dose sale he has another shop where he is going to continue working of the Mustang & several other projects.
Looks interesting. What is the all up price for a flying Mustang? And the time frame involved?

David Moxley

Log Member
Looks interesting. What is the all up price for a flying Mustang?
And the time frame involved?
I don’t think he is interested in building a complete flying aircraft, he is more I think suppling the components to build one & support at least this is what he said before. I will ask Murdo the details the next time I see him & post .

TXFlyGuy

I don’t think he is interested in building a complete flying aircraft, he is more I think suppling the components to build one & support at least this is what he said before. I will ask Murdo the details the next time I see him & post .
Let me rephrase the question...

What is the complete cost to purchase an entire kit, with engine and propeller, and have the aircraft ready to fly? $500,000? $750,000? More? Less?
And how many months or years will it take to acquire a complete kit?
What is the normal build time? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? How many man hours are involved? 1500? 2500? More?

Twister51

FYI -
In this thread someone said there are no Kit Mustangs for sale. I am assuming they mean full size?

Of course there are some smaller replica kits available; the Stewart S-51 is one of them. The current S-51 kit company owner is Bill Hudgens. He has spent tons of money and time over the last (8?) yrs to resurrect the kit. He is in the process of building a warehouse to store parts as we speak and maintains an active website: Stewart51.com

Cheers.

TXFlyGuy

You could list the Thunder Mustang, Jurca Mustang (plans only), Titan Mustang, Stewart Mustang, SAL Mustang, plus a few others that are not as well known.

FEW is a company that has gone belly up, like so many others.

Also, which kit companies are actively selling kits today, and are in full production?

It would be interesting to know how many total are in the field, and actually flying, from each kit manufacturer.

The Titan Factory has roughly 250 kits worldwide, with about 150 (+/-) flying.

Riggerrob

$2.7 million sounds about right for a freshly-restored, North American-made P-51 Mustang.
Back in 1993, I assembled and parachutes for Grand Champion Warbird at Oshkosh. The owner said that he quit counting restoration costs after $1.5 million!
Hah!
Hah!

Twister51

You could list the Thunder Mustang, Jurca Mustang (plans only), Titan Mustang, Stewart Mustang, SAL Mustang, plus a few others that are not as well known.

FEW is a company that has gone belly up, like so many others.

Also, which kit companies are actively selling kits today, and are in full production?

It would be interesting to know how many total are in the field, and actually flying, from each kit manufacturer.

The Titan Factory has roughly 250 kits worldwide, with about 150 (+/-) flying.
Stewart 51 sold around 72 kits. Think there have been about 18 that have flown.

David Moxley

Log Member
Let me rephrase the question...

What is the complete cost to purchase an entire kit, with engine and propeller, and have the aircraft ready to fly? $500,000? $750,000? More? Less?
And how many months or years will it take to acquire a complete kit?
What is the normal build time? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? How many man hours are involved? 1500? 2500? More?
Talk to Murdo today.
He said it would be do able for 500,000 . As far as how long it would take? Depends if you are going to build it yourself or pay someone to it?
He suggested you go to his web sight or call him directly for more details on the kit itself.

TXFlyGuy

$2.7 million sounds about right for a freshly-restored, North American-made P-51 Mustang.
Back in 1993, I assembled and parachutes for Grand Champion Warbird at Oshkosh. The owner said that he quit counting restoration costs after $1.5 million!
Hah!
Hah!
I recall seeing an ad in Trade-A-Plane, listing a P-51 Mustang for sale, with a complete spare Merlin engine, at the price of $45,000.

Yes, I am old, but it was really not that long ago. This would have been in the mid 70's.

TXFlyGuy

Talk to Murdo today.
He said it would be do able for 500,000 . As far as how long it would take? Depends if you are going to build it yourself or pay someone to it?
He suggested you go to his web sight or call him directly for more details on the kit itself.
Thanks. I have a few friends who might be interested.